Chapter 13

"Did I mention we have a little sister...?" Gracie mumbles.
"A SISTER? WHAT THE FUCK GRACIE! ARE YOU FUCKING INSANE? OUR PARENTS AREN'T THAT STUPID! AND HOW THE FUCK DID MOM DIE?" tears are streaming down my face and I don't know why. I don't know why I love them. I don't know why I care. They hurt Gracie and me for years. 
"I know it's scary, Melanie! I know! I saw Mom's fucking dead body! I saw Dad's regretful face! I heard Dad say my name with sadness in his voice as he was getting ducked into the police car! I SAW OUR LITTLE SISTER'S BRUISED AND BLOODY BODY ON A GURNEY BEING RUSHED INTO A AMBULANCE! NOW JUST STAY FUCKING CALM SO I CAN EXPLAIN WHAT HAPPENED!" 
I calm down my breathing and sit back down. "Ok... Please, explain..."
"So... Apparently our little sister was getting beaten while Dad was drunk. Mom was sober and tried to stop him. The police said on the call our little sister said Mom was on the ground because Dad hit her in the head with the 'stick', then there was yelling and the phone was hung up... Dad admitted to abusing us and killing Mom when the police got there. They contacted me... And apparently to confirm we are our little sisters' siblings we are going for DNA testing at four pm tomorrow... Then we will become her legal guardian a day after the results come in... If we are her sister."
"Ok... That's an hour after school ends... Gracie go get sleep... You look exhausted... I'll go to sleep too so I can actually try to do schoolwork." I head into my bedroom and plop down on my bed... I have a little sister...

*

I wake up and shower... It takes about ten minutes. I get out, dry off, and walk into my closet. I pick out this:

I quickly do silver and black eyeshadow, paint on some maroon matte lip cream, brush out my hair and do my hair like this:

I walk out and eat some leftover muffins, before grabbing my bag and heading out the door. I get into my car, and drive to school, drowning in thousands of thoughts... Mom's dead... Dad's in prison... And I have a little sister... I HAVE A FUCKING LITTLE SISTER! Oh, my fucking fuck Fuck...

I arrive at the school and get out quickly and rush in. I'm a bit later than usual... I open my locker and get my books and stuff, even though I'm still like thirty minutes early. I head to the school work-out room, to find Jonah starting to head out.
"Hey, cutie," Jonah says after I peck him on the lips.  He snakes his arm around my waist, and I push him off. 
"Get your sweaty body to the showers, Mr. Marais!" I bark jokingly in my best coach impression.
"Awww... That's not going to stop me!" Jonah engulfs me in a huge hug and I squeal. 
"LET ME DOWN!!!" I drag out the 'o' and the 'n'. He puts me down and kisses me on my forehead. I smile up at him.
"So, you wanna hang out after school?" Jonah asks, resting his elbow on my shoulder.
"Actually, I have to go to the hospital for DNA testing... I'll explain it at lunch..." I respond to Jonah, pushing him toward the showers. "Cya at lunch, Honah!!!"

*

I just finished explaining the situation to Jonah, Karen, and Becca... And they are as surprised as I was... Er- am. "Wow... J-just... Wow..." Jonah says, obviously surprised.
"I am going to have to co-parent with Bean and Gracie... Unless Bean runs away because he's 'too young to be a dad'" I joke.
"Corbyn would do that?" Becca asks.
"No! It's not even his responsibility, but he volunteered for it. And he would never abandon Gracie and me!"
"Bean IS kind of scary..." Jonah mumbles.
"Dude, try living with him. Especially when he cares about you a lot. He is waaaayyyy overprotective."
"I could tell."
I snort, followed by some giggles, and then Jonah kisses my nose.

*

I let out a huge sigh as Gracie and I get out of her car. "So... We are going to meet our little sister..." Gracie sighs.
"What if she doesn't like us?"
"We'll be better than our parents..."
"True... But we can't look sad or surprised when we go in... She might get the wrong idea."
"Alright... Let's go." we head into the hospital and check-in. We wait for about five minutes and are headed into a room. A small room with a bruised five-year-old sitting in a chair curled up. She looks nothing like dad... But a lot like mom. Light brown hair... And green eyes? Mom or Dad don't have green eyes. I remember Mom went on a nine-month trip to NYC... Oh my god... She's only our half-sister... OH MY GOD! MOM CHEATED ON DAD!? Snap out of it, Melanie!

I sit down by our half-sister, and Gracie sits beside me. "Hi, I'm Melanie... I'm your older sister."
"But you don't look like Mommy or Daddy... You look like Mark."
"Mel... Did Mom cheat on Dad?"
"I think... Well, Uhm... Kid, Mark is our Dad and Mom is our Mom... So you're our half-sister... What happened to your Dad?"
"Daddy died of cancer last year. I moved in with Mommy... If I move in with you... You guys won't hurt me like Mommy and Mark... Will you?"
"Of course not! Mom and Dad hurt us for eighteen years... Well, Gracie nine-teen... We would never wish that suffering on anybody."
"*Ahem* Besides bitchy Daniel."
"WE DON'T SPEAK OF THE CHEATER!" I yell jokingly and look back at our little sister... Who looks like she's seen a ghost. 
"Are you alright, honey?" I ask.
"W-will you get mad at me t-too?"
"No! We yell at each other a lot, and we are just joking! We almost never get mad unless someone hurts people we care about... Oh, and we honestly don't speak of that Daniel figure. He is a big meanie face."
She giggles, "That's funny. Mark and Mommy used to say they are fuckers."
"Ok, sweetie, you are too young for those words, ok? Gracie and I can say that, but you can't."
"Oh... Ok!"
"What's your name?" Gracie asks her.
"My name is Sadie. Daddy named me that. Mommy didn't care."
"Well, I think it's a beautiful name."

Sadie's POV

Gracie and Melanie were nice. Nicer than Mommy and Mark. I hope they meant it when they said they won't hurt me, too. I hope I get to go to school, too. I'll be so popular! I'll get a boyfriend on the first day! (Every girl kindergartner's dream... Just me? Ok...) I want to make friends, go to the park, and have a real family for once. I hope I get nice clothes instead of just shorts and t-shirts. I hope I get toys, lots of them. I really hope I get to live with them...

____________________________________________________________________

OoOoOoooOOOf!

This is beautiful... 

-Mia