Chapter 18

I walk into school with not so much of a hangover... I mean I didn't drink that much. I walk to my locker and drop my things. Like literally DROP. On my locker is painted 'WHORE'. I take a deep breath and attempt to ignore the chuckles and giggles around me. I open my locker and a copy of the school newspaper falls out on top of my head. I look at it, and on the front page is a picture of Jack slow grinding on me, and us kissing. My heart is beating so hard, and so quick. I read the words:

Melanie Marie, Class President or Whore?

At a party, last night Melanie, the high school's class prez, was spotted slow grinding Jack Avery. Later she was spotted being carried by her ex, Daniel Seavey... Then kissing Jack. Eventually, Jonah Marais, a starter on the Highschool boys basketball team, and Melanie's current boyfriend shows up, and punches Jack in the face!

Oh my God. This is one: invading my privacy, and two: horrible writing, and grammar... This is high school, not kindergarten Is this literally all that goes on? "I'm disappointed. You hook up with Jack while dating Jonah, but not me? Damn, I had dibs first..." I whip my head around to see that hoe that was flirting with me at the arcade.
"I didn't hook up with Jack. Jack literally started grinding on me, and can you see my fucking face in that photo? Does it look like I'm ok with that!? And two, in the photo of us kissing, I was drunk. I am extremely gullible when drunk and Jack fucking tricked me into kissing him."
"Sure sweetheart." the basketball hoe says to me, and I whip out my phone and pull up Zach's Instagram. I find the photo of me in Daniel's arms, stuffing my face with Jack's hair.
"I don't know about you, but it's a pretty drunk thing to eat someone else's hair because they were convinced it was actual noodles."
"But you are in Daniel's arms, am I wrong?
"No. Daniel was trying to get me back to Zach, who Jonah assigned to be my 'chaperone' because I'm a total lightweight and Zach was supposed to prevent things like this happening! He did a horrible job. Now shoo hoe, shoo!"

* (Lunch)

"Melanie... I got kicked off the basketball team..." Jonah reluctantly says, his head hanging low.
"I-I'm so sorry... I know you love basketball... This is my fault...." I stutter, getting up from my chair. "I-I'll be back in a minute..." I walk off. I don't know where I'm going. I need to getaway. I got Jonah kicked off his team. Those guys were like his family. I'm the worst girlfriend... I bump straight into someone, and fall. "OW!" I scream, looking at my rug-burnt knee.
"Sorry Mel..." someone offers me their hand and I take it. They help me up and I look at him.
"Get away from me. I don't need anymore hurt than I already have right now..."
"Melanie... I'm sorry... Are you ok?" Daniel asks.
"No. I'm being called a whore, and Jonah punched Jack... Jonah got kicked off of the basketball team because of me... I'm causing as much hurt as my parents..." my voice cracks on the last sentence. Daniel pulls me into a tight hug, and  I can't help but cry. Cry for myself. Cry for Jonah. Cry for Gracie. Cry for Sadie. Cry for Corbyn. Cry for Daniel. Cry for Zach. Cry for even Jack... And worst of all, I cry for Mom and Dad. I cry for all the people I have ever hurt even in the smallest way.
"No. Melanie. You are not hurting people as much as your parents. Sure, you hurt a lot of people, and a lot of people hurt you. That's just life." Daniel responds calmly. I look up at him, and ask, "When did you get so mature, Dani?" he wipes away one of my tears and responds, "I learned from the best."

* (After school in the parking lot)

I have avoided Jonah all day. I unlock my car and a hand grabs my arm firmly. "Melanie. talk to me..." I whip my head around to see Jonah.
"Fine. I am the reason you were kicked off the team. You loved it. I feel horrible."
"You weren't the reason! It was all me when I punched Jack! And my grades have been dropping for a month!"
"A MONTH? That's how long we've been dating, Jonah! I'm bad for you! I mess everything up! I'm broken!"
"No! You aren't bad for me! You don't mess everything up! You aren't broken! You aren't a mistake or a whore! I fucking love you! I love you, and I know you well enough to know you aren't!"
"AND I FUCKING LOVE YOU ENOUGH TO KNOW I'M BAD FOR YOU! I FUCKING LOVE YOU ENOUGH TO KNOW THAT I AM MESSING YOUR LIFE UP! I CARE ENOUGH TO THINK WE SHOULD END THIS NOW!"
"Melanie... No, you don't mean it." Jonah's voice is sounding hesitant, vulnerable now.
"I do mean it... Jonah, I think we should break up..."
"You don't actually love me... You wouldn't do this if you did... Am I just a rebound? Was I just a rebound from Daniel, Melanie!"
"NO! I fucking love you! I fucking love you with all of my mind, my heart, and my soul!"
"Then why are you leaving me!?" his voice cracks as though he's about to cry. I stay silent for a minute, pondering my answer. I've told him already. I'm bad for him, I'm broken.
"You still have feelings for Daniel, don't you?" I haven't thought about that... Do I? "I take your silence for a yes... Bye, Melanie." Jonah gets into his car and leaves. I lean against my car, crying. I get in and drive. I don't know where to. But I just keep driving. I keep driving. I lay my head down on the steering wheel for a split second, and I hear a loud crash, then I blackout.

_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+

I'm literally crying while writing this chapter. Like seriously. I'm crying right now. I know the ending of this chapter happens in like every book on this website, but you know... It actually is going to be good instead of an "I wake up in a hospital and people surround me. I make them out to be Gracie, Daniel, Zach, etc.. I find out I'll be released in a few days.

* (a few days later)

"Home sweet home!""

Yeah, that ain't happening.

-Mia