The worried teacher

The day went on with them being in their class. They had a free period at the same time with the girls and the Hardys. So they decided to go for lunch together.
"So what did you guys do today?" asked Nancy while eating lunch. "Like what did you guys do during the break without us?"
Frank looked at the boys with a sly expression. Ned quickly shook his head, signalling him to not say anything about the spying incident.
"We went for a walk," said Ned," truthfully. "We passed by the forest."
"Yeah and there were so many loud monkeys," said Burt. "They sounded so human too, almost as if it was someone crying for help."
"Are you sure it was just monkeys?" asked George, doubtfully. "Like it may actually be someone crying for help, right?"
"Yes we're sure it was monkeys," said Dave. "Because there was a sign saying 'BEWARE OF HOWLER MONKEYS' in big bold letters."
"Well..." said Bess. "Then I better stay away from there, then."
"I'm still not convinced that they were monkeys," said Ned. "Like it sounded so human."
"I'm sure it's nothing, Ned," said Nancy. "Like monkeys are related to our cavemen ancestors, and they do sometimes sound human."
"Hmm okay then," said Ned, still not convinced. "But we didn't really see any monkeys loitering around there..."
"Ned..." said Burt. "They are incredibly loud creatures. They can be heard from miles away. Howler monkeys are the loudest species of monkeys."
The day went on with them going for their classes and what not. The next period for Nancy and the Hardys was Chemistry. Amelia arrived and she looked kinda worried.
"Something is disturbing Amelia," said Nancy in a low voice to her friends. "Like look at her. She definitely doesn't see, like how she usually is."
"You're right," said George, realising it too. "Like she's usually really cheerful. She seems a little doleful, don't you think, Bess?"
"Huh?" asked Bess, not really hearing what the other two said. "What is that you said?"
"Oh never mind, Bess," said Nancy, annoyed. "I think I better go and ask her something. Like this question. It's easy, but requires a lot of calculations. If the person is not focused, they won't be able to answer it."
"Are you sure it's a good idea?" asked George. "Like what if you get into trouble?"
"I'll just pretend I can't understand this question," said Nancy. "I'll go and ask her. There's definitely something wrong..."
Nancy walked over to Amelia to ask her the question. She was just staring blankly in front of her, fidgeting. She was so lost in thought, that she didn't notice Nancy come to her.
"Amelia?" asked Nancy and Amelia snapped back to reality. "Is something wrong?"
"Well..." said Amelia. She was hesitant to tell Nancy, but she decided to not say anything to her yet. "Well it's nothing, Nancy. Why are you here?"
"Oh I just wanted to ask you a question," said Nancy. "Like I don't get the concept of it. Can you show me?"
"Certainly," said Amelia, taking a look at the question that Nancy showed her. "Just give me a minute, I'll tell you how it is, okay?"
Nancy nodded and waited patiently for Amelia to finish the question and explain it to her. She accidentally answered it wrongly.
"Wait isn't it supposed to be the other way around?" asked Nancy, looking closely at the question. "Like it's this one first right?"
"Oh my apologies, my dear," said Amelia. "Yes that's correct. I don't know what's gotten into me lately. I must be getting old..."
Nancy thanked her and went back to her seat.
"There's something definitely up with Amelia," said Nancy in a low voice to her friends. "Like she wrongly answered this simple question. She's becoming absent minded. Something is definitely bugging her."
"Well I can see that," said George. "Like she's just sitting there, as if in a daze. She's deep in thought...."
"Yes she is," said Bess, suddenly. "She seems off..."
"Oh look who finally noticed," said George. "You're so clueless..."
"I wasn't clueless," said Bess. "I just didn't hear what you said at that point. I knew what was going on the whole time, George..."
"Do you guys know what it feels like to be in the middle of two bickering people?" asked Nancy. "I think I better move into the corner seat and leave George in the middle instead."
"Oh no don't do that," said Bess. "If that happens, I'll have to deal with so much more mocking..."
"Yeah and I'll have to deal with more of your nonsense," said George. "Like I'll have to wake you up in the middle of class, have your mess on my table, and so much more!"
"Then stop bickering," said Nancy. "It something gets out of hand..."
"Sorry..." said Bess and George in unison.
"I still don't get why you two fly off at each other," said Nancy. "Like isn't it fun to have a cousin? I'm pretty okay with Sue..."
Sue is one of her favourite cousins. Nancy is pretty close with Sue and they sometimes enjoy hanging out together.
"It is fun, until a certain extent," said Bess. "But I don't like it when George starts mocking me for my weight..."
"And I don't like how you start mocking me about my boyishness," said George. "Like, that's just how I am..."
"I think I have to go to the bathroom," said Nancy, getting up. "Bess, move in a bit. I want to pass through."
She received permission from Amelia, who just nodded without looking at Nancy, and went to the bathroom.
"What is wrong with Amelia today?" thought Nancy while going to the bathroom. "Like what's bugging her? Is it very serious? She isn't acting like herself, this isn't like her. She's the most cheerful teacher that I've ever seen... what could be the problem?"
She finally reached the bathroom and she looked at herself in the mirror before going inside one of the stall. After she had done her business and was about to leave, she heard someone talking outside. She sounded worried and frantic.
"Now who could that be?" asked Nancy to herself. "She sounds worried, I better listen in..."
She stood on the toilet to see who it was it was Deirdre. She was talking over the phone. Nancy saw her face from the mirror and it wasn't like her usual sneering self. She had a worried expression on her face and there was a deep line on her forehead, in between her eyebrows, as if she had been constantly frowning. She looked as if she had been crying too.