Max again...

"So that note's a dead end then," Joe said in dismay. "Amelia's a little freaky, don't you think?"
"Yep," said Nancy. "But I kinda understand why she did that."
"So now we literally have no suspects," said Ned. "What do we do now?"
"Oi I thought you guys were supposed to investigate her friends or something?" Frank said, slapping Ned's arm. "Like you were all like 'Leave that to us, we can question her friends. They are our classmates,' or something."
"I didn't say it," Ned said to his defence. "Burt?"
"I shouldn't have said that..." Burt said, annoyed. "Anyway, yeah we still gotta do it, right?"
"You bet," George said. "I suggest you guys do it during your breaks or something."
"Yeah or during class," said Bess. "Like during group works or something."
"We'll do it tomorrow," said Ned. "It's almost dinnertime now, and I don't think we can make it now."
The next day, Ned and his best friends decided to carry out their plan. During break, they decided to approach Amanda's deskmates.
Her best friend, Alison, was Ned's target. Burt tackled her other deskmate, Olivia while Dave decided to talk to her friend from the photography club, Josh.
Max was kinda eyeing Burt with suspicion. That was until Burt grinned at him with a wave of his hand as a friendly gesture.
"Maybe Dave was right," Max thought after waving back. "This guy isn't so bad after all. Ugh all those stuff I texted Amanda..."
He was still kinda sad for her disappearance. Many girls thought it would be a good idea to try and win over his heart during Amanda's absence.
Well, they had no luck because Max didn't even look at them. Suddenly he got an idea.
"Why don't you bother Burt instead?" Max told the prettiest girl that tried to get him. "He seems nice?"
Lacey looked at him and realised that he did look pretty good. She thought about it and decided to try.
Thing is, she isn't aware that his girlfriend is the George from the Women's Soccer team who was a black belt at Judo.
She went to him and gave him one of her sweetest smiles. Burt just grinned back and continued investigating Amanda's friend.
She tried again and failed.
During break, when the guys were leaving the classroom, she cornered them and decided to outright just ask him out on a date. Max watched from close by.
For some reason, he did not trust Burt. He decided to test him.
"Would you go on a date with me?" Lacey asked, giving him her prettiest face she could muster.
"Sorry, Lacey, but I have a girlfriend," Burt said and continued to walk away with his friends.
She ran to them and asked again. Only this time she asked why.
"Because you're not my type," Burt simply said. "I have a girlfriend."
They walked away and Max watched. He kinda felt bad to have thought that Burt was a playboy.
"What's wrong with her?" Burt asked his friends, walking towards the courtyard. "And why the sudden interest in me?"
"I think I know why," Ned said. "I saw her sucking up to Max before she came to me."
"Wait what?" Burt said, shocked. "Then why suddenly me?"
"Well, I think he sent her to you to see if you would accept her despite being with George," Dave added. "You know he thinks you'll steal his girl from him."
"Urgh," Burt said in disgust. "Hasn't that guy had enough? I can't believe I'm saying this but, he deserves that sprain. Every bit of it."
They talked and decided to go for another walk because the others weren't on break. They put their stuff in the locker and were gonna leave when Max appeared out of no where.
He was standing behind Burt's open locker door. When he closed the door, he was startled to see Max standing there the whole time.
"I'm sorry, Burt," Max said apologetically. "I misjudged you."
"Huh?" Burt asked, confused. "What do you mean?"
"I'm sorry I thought you would take Amanda away from me. That's why I always suspected you."
"What made you think that?" Burt asked.
"Well, you always have this sly look on your face and I just thought you were a playboy or something."
"Wait what?" Burt asked in shock. "Max, I have a girlfriend. And I'm not willing to let her go that easily. So you can just stop worrying about me."
"Alright alright," Max said. "Where are you guys going? You look like you're gonna go for a jog or something."
"We're going for a walk," Dave said.
"Wanna come?" Ned asked.
"Sure, I'm on break too," said Max. "Also I'm kinda bored..."
"How's your leg?" Dave asked. "You were limping around when I came to see you yesterday. You sure you can walk?"
"Yeah I can," said Max. "It doesn't even hurt anymore. But I still can't play. At least, that's what the doctor said."
They decided to go out for a walk. They wanted to talk about their findings when they were talking to Amanda's friends. But since Max was with them, they decided against it.
"I heard you told the police that you actually heard a scream around here," Max said when they came to that part of the road. "Do you think it's Amanda?"
"We... we think so," said Ned. "We heard her stuff were found here. Like her backpack, her phone, her glasses, her headband and stuff like that."
"The police suspect that she was kidnapped," said Burt. "There were visible signs of a struggle. Even her glasses were found."
"Oh no..." Max said sadly. "Amanda... who could've done this?"
He started sobbing. Ned tried really hard to hold back his laughter. Burt, disappointed, went to Max and started comforting him.
"Relax, buddy," Burt said. "They'll find her. Amanda's gonna be okay. Everything will go back to normal. Don't worry."
They turned back and decided to go to the campus park instead. Nancy and her friends were there and they motioned the boys to join them.
"So who's your new friend?" Frank asked mockingly.
"This is Max," Ned introduced. "Amanda's boyfriend."
"Hey guys," Max said, joining them.
"How are you doing?" Nancy asked. "We heard you had a fall and injured yourself."
"Yeah I'm feeling better now," said Max. "Still hurts a little and yeah I have to limp a bit."
"I heard you were having suspicions on our friend Burt?" Joe said before taking a sip of his soda. "Like... I heard you were afraid that he'd take Amanda away from you?"
"Dave..." Max said with a sigh.
"Sorry, buddy," Dave replied with a smirk. "I just had to tell them."
"But yeah it's true," said Max. "Was true. Now I realise how foolish I was."
"Well, that's kinda relatable," said Ned. "I kinda spied on Frank and Joe, suspecting that they would take Nancy away from me."
"So that's what you three been doing the other day," Frank said, remembering how they wore a lame disguise and were looking through the windows of their class with a pair of binoculars. "You guys are so lame..."
"It was Ned's idea," Burt and Dave said together, pointing at Ned.
"You guys are so lame," George said, amused. "You actually spied on us?"
"We were just afraid that you might get hit on or worse!" Ned said.
"We?"
"Fine, I was worried you'd get hit on or worse," Ned said finally.
"You guys are lame!" Bess said, annoyed.
"See, Ned," Dave said, slapping Ned's back. "Because of your stupid idea, we're lamos too now..."
Max smiled. He remembered the good times he had with his girlfriend, Amanda. She was such a fun person and he really missed her.