The dead end

"How do we find her?" Chet asked, his mouth full of fries. "There're no leads, the evidence leads us to no where, how do we know what happened to her?"
"I don't know," Nancy said, defeated. "It's leading us to a dead end."
"I think we should check the crime scene again," said Frank. "There may be something left behind."
"The police already gave us the green light so we can just knock ourselves out," said Joe. "I feel like we may find lots more at daylight. We could barely see the last time we went."
"I agree," said Bess. "So when do you wanna go?"
"After this?" George said, pointing at her lunch. "It's still early and we don't have any classes after this."
"Sure," said Ned. "We don't either."
"Great!" Frank and Joe said together.
"We'll go in my car," said Chet. "I think it can take all of us."
"You bet it can," Ned said with a smirk. "If it can fit you, it can definitely fit us!"
"Yeah, very funny," Chet said, annoyed. "Alright, so we go to the forest again?"
"Beware of monkeys...!" Joe said jokingly. "I feel like if you three actually investigated the scream, we wouldn't have lost Amanda."
"Yeah..." said Ned. "I wanted to go check it out but these two..."
"Sorry..." Burt and Dave said together.
"We should've listened," said Dave. "Next time, we definitely will. Okay?"
"Yeah and we're not gonna ignore any weird noises," said Burt. "We'll check everything out, okay?"
After having their lunch, they set off in Chet's former jalopy to investigate the crime scene. The police already blocked the area off with barricade tape.
But of course, our sleuths had access because of their reputation as amateur detectives that solved various crime around the globe.
They checked the place thoroughly this time. They found signs of struggles.
Thing is, they were at two different places.
"Maybe Amanda managed to escape the first time she was caught and they caught her again over there?" Chet said quipped. "I dunno, I'm just guessing..."
"Maybe," said Nancy. "Or maybe there were two people caught. Because look here..."
She pointed to the areas. There was no evidence that whoever who was struggling actually ran to the other area.
"But maybe the evidence disappeared over time," said Frank. "Coz it's been about a week since Amanda disappeared."
"That may be true too," said Nancy. "Let's look for more clues."
They found none.
They sighed and went back to their campus. Nancy was silent all the way. She was dissatisfied to find that nothing could help with the case.
Ned realised her dissatisfaction and tried to cheer her up. He put his arm around her and thought of something.
"What do you say we go for a date this Saturday night?" Ned suggested. "We could relax, and that would help us think of more leads, right?"
Nancy nodded, trying to smile in her sad state.
"Sure, Ned," said Nancy. "That would be great."
Nancy cheered up a little as she thought about going out on a date with Ned. It's been a while since the last time they went out since Nancy was always solving some mystery in another part of the world.
Nancy's father, Carson, forbid her from solving any more mysteries and sent her off to college to make her study instead. Her friends accompanied her to the same college by chance.
It was Thursday and they looked forward to the weekend.
"Aren't you gonna take me out, Dave?" Bess asked. "Oh come on, please?"
"Sure we can go too," said Dave. "I'll take you this Saturday."
"What about me?" George asked, clutching Burt's arm. "So the two of them go while I stay alone in the dorm room?"
"Of course not," said Burt. "We'll go too."
When Saturday night came, they all dressed up nice and went out on dates.
Ned went to get his car while Nancy waited at the campus courtyard.
He pulled up in front of her with a smirk.
"Can I get you a ride, milady?" Ned asked jokingly. "I'm sorry if this car isn't up to your standards."
"Quit fooling around," Nancy said, getting in while laughing at her boyfriend. "This car is amazing!"
"Yeah it took me a while to convince dad to me this car," said Ned. "Anyway, where do you wanna go?"
"You decide," said Nancy. "After all, it was your plan, not mine."
"Okay so what about for a movie?" Ned asked, passing the forest.
"Sure," said Nancy. "I'd like that."
Nancy leaned and looked over at the forest. This was where Amanda's things were found. She sighed as she thought about the case.
Ned noticed her change of emotion and turned the radio on to cheer her up.
To his surprise, A Thousand Miles by Vanessa Carlton started playing.
Ned started singing along to cheer her up and even did like what Terry Crews did in the movie White Chicks.
Nancy started laughing when she saw him do that. Ned was the best boyfriend she could have. She joined him too. Ned was glad to see her laugh instead of thinking about the case of the missing Amanda.
The song finished and they started laughing even more.
"That was fun," said Nancy. "Oh my gosh, Ned, you were worse than the movie..."
"I know," said Ned, laughing. "Yeah it was really fun."
Ned drove to the nearby cinema. He went to buy tickets while Nancy went to get snacks and drinks.
They met up and waited at one of the ottomans for their theatre to open.
"Which theatre is it again?" Nancy asked.
"Theatre seven," Ned said, looking at the tickets. "It should be open any minute."
A few minutes later, the screen displayed that their theatre had indeed opened for them.
They went in and looked for their seat. Ned booked them a couple seat.
They sat and nibbled on their popcorn as the ads started playing. Nancy decided to save some popcorn while Ned was just blindly stuffing his face with popcorn.
"I need to go to the bathroom," Nancy said, getting up to leave. "Take care of my bag, Ned."
She went to the bathroom and saw that Bess was there too.
"Bess?" Nancy asked, surprised. "You're here too!"
"Wow Nance," Bess said, equally surprised. "Guess Dave and Ned had the same plan."
The door opened and George walked in. She was surprised to see her friends there too.
"Oh wow..." George said, surprised.
They laughed and left to go back to their theatres after using the loo. They were watching three different movies in the same cinema.