Chapter Fifteen

'To live in hearts we leave behind is not to die.' - Thomas Campbell

"You know I'm going to steal him one day, right?" I ask, scratching Roary's head as I hold him in my arms, leaning into the soft booth as Gabriel leans on the bar watching us.

"You can't, he's my little wingman." Gabriel says. "Do you want me to be single forever?" He asks me as he takes the little pup from my arms, cuddling him, bouncing him slightly as if he was a baby.

"You have been single forever." I argue. "You don't have any trouble picking girls up here, nothing ever happens after that though. Do I sense commitment issues?" I ask, raising an eyebrow as I sit back, folding my arms, waiting for a rebuttal.

"I have no trouble committing." Gabriel argues. "I just don't want to commit to those girls. They aren't the type of girls I want to commit to." He explains simply.

"How is he going to fix that?" I ask.

"He will attract the type of girl I want to commit to." He says. "Someone sweet, kind. Someone able to deal with a puppy while they sleep and run wild." He says, making me smile.

"Well that sounds great." I smile. "I actually approve a bit more now." I add, standing up and stroking Roary. "I want you to be happy Gabriel." I smile at him. He returns it, slightly more vulnerable than his usual smile.

"Me too." He says quietly. "Part of me thinks I got him because it's Adrian's birthday soon. Just to feel a little bit less alone." He adds.

"None of us are alone Gabriel. We have each other. I admit it is not the same, and it won't be, but we won't be alone." I say with subtle determination, trying to show my confidence without being pushy.

"Well at some point I will be, I won't have anyone to distract me. This little guy will probably be asleep and I won't be able to sleep. He is on my mind all of the time but dates just keep popping up in my mind, the anniversary of the bar opening, us writing a song, the first time we got drunk together, the first day we skipped school, the days we bailed each other out of detention, the day we first met, the last day we spoke. So many days Ali; so many nights I can hardly sleep or days where I can't do anything but sleep. I just don't want another day or night like that." He says sadly, almost desperately.

"Gabriel," I sigh. "I didn't know how bad this was effecting you." I say, rubbing his strong back, resting my head on his arm. "I was thinking anyway that we should close the bar that night. His birthday is a Wednesday anyway. Why don't we close Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday. You, me and the boys go somewhere and just talk. I feel a lot better now, calmer. I think it will do us a lot of good, all of us." I say.

"Can we do that?" He asks. "Financially and everything?" He asks.

"Yeah, we were doing well, the new drinks have been selling like crazy and we can say we are closed for a small refurbishment and get new coasters or something." I say, making him chuckle. "Then we have marketing so interest will hold steady." I explain. He nods and smiles.

"Then I think that would be great." He smiles. "Thank you, Ali." He says sincerely.

"No problem, I love you." I say, kissing his cheek. He smiles and I go behind the bar. "Would you like to do the honors?" I ask, pulling out a sign I got when shopping yesterday. "I thought it would look good on the door." I say, raising an eyebrow.

"Dog Friendly." He says with a smile.

"Yep. When that little guy gets his roar, I'm training him to be my head bar tender. I thought it would help prepare people." I say, making him chuckle again. He puts Roary on the seat of a booth and takes the sign, putting it on the glass door. "Perfect." I smile. When he turns around, I sigh softly, he still looks sad.