Chapter Twenty

'You can't buy happiness, but you can buy ice cream, and that's pretty much the same thing.' -Unknown

Sebastian has been busy so as the day of departure draws near, he tries to make more time for me, it doesn't often pan out though. With him usually wanting to take me somewhere I don't really mind when it doesn't work out. I don't really feel like dressing up for the three-star restaurants or fancy art galleries. I just want to make brownies and cuddle. I guess he doesn't believe me when I tell him.

Since I am supposed to leave with him in three days, I spend the day with Lilly, since I won't see her in a while. Tía has a job now, one that pays almost half of her old one. I have to help out with some things still but at least she and Lilly have rent and health insurance properly covered again.

I take Lilly shopping, getting her a few dresses or whatever she wants really. She hasn't noticed much changing at home which was honestly my main concern with her. My world turned upside down when I was young, not as young as her but when I was young all the same. I don't want her to have to go through that.

"Can we get lunch now?" She asks, tugging my arm.

"Sure, what do you want?" I ask, wanting to sit down too. I stand all night at work, I'm tired; she is worth the ache though.

"Ice cream." She says as a cold breeze hits us.

"Are you sure? It's getting cold. Don't you want something warm?" I ask as I quickly zip up my coat.

"I want ice cream." She says. I smile and shake my head, holding her hand and walking to the closest place that sells ice cream. Lilly chooses strawberry and I just get a hot chocolate, warming up as she happily licks her ice cream which isn't really melting. I giggle as I sit back in my chair and watch her. "So, what are you doing while you're away?" She asks, a ring of congealed ice cream around her lips.

"I don't really know Mija." I tell her honestly. "Sebastian is keeping it a surprise but it is to do with the bar, it is supposed to be a business trip, not just a vacation." I say, not wanting her to think I'm leaving her to have fun.

"Do you want to go?" She asks. "I thought you liked when I woke you up on your birthday." She says with a small pout.

"I do, but it's business prima." I say with a small smile. "We can re-create it when I get back." I suggest.

"No, it won't be the same." She says, shaking her head. "Just promise you'll be here for your next birthday. That's a big one." She says.

"Is twenty-five that big?" I ask.

"It's half a century. Gabi taught me that." She smiles proudly, making me giggle. "I can't wait to grow up." She sighs.

"I wish I could be little again." I say with a small smile. She looks up at me with curiosity and I giggle. "You don't have to worry about anything when you're small. You just have to have fun." I say.

"But I can't do anything fun, there are so many rules." She says, rolling her eyes.

"They're there to keep you safe, but even with rules you have more fun. Believe me Mija, you'll miss being little. You should try to enjoy it while you can." I tell her, smiling back at the few memories I have from before I moved here, the days at the beach where Adrian and I would run, play and swim all day. The rare bakery trips. All of it.

"Are you not happy now?" She asks.

"I am." I smile at her, it's not completely true, but it's true enough to make her believe it. "But it is a lot harder to be grown up, you actually have to work to be happy." I explain to her.