Chapter Twenty One

'Death, so called, is a thing that makes men weep, and yet a third of life is passed in sleep.' - Lord Byron

As Sebastian puts my suitcase in his car I stretch and yawn. I pull Adrian's hoodie down to cover my hand, then I cover my mouth. I surprisingly had a great night sleep but I am still tired. I run my hand through my hair and I yawn a second, less intense time.

"Bad night sleep?" He asks, stroking my hair and running his thumb over my cheek. I smile and rest my head on his hand. He awe's and holds me, kissing the top of my head as I lean on him. "You can sleep on the plane, it's about five hours." He says. I nod and we get in the car.

As he drives, I stare out of the window but I don't really look at anything, I just stare at nothing. My mind just un-focusing as we drive to the airport. I hardly notice when we are there to be honest, or that Sebastian has his hand on my leg when he drives. My mind is just silent, completely on autopilot.

"We're here." He says happily as he gets to the private terminal, I remember from last time we flew. At least I can lean on Sebastian now. I might have to, his happy and loud announcement of our arrival made me snap back to reality and it has given me a wild headache.

I hold his hand for about five seconds as we walk in but he lets go to check us in. I honestly have to fight hard so I don't sigh. I want to go back to my bed, no, I want to go back to the bed I slept on in San Juan Island. I want to sleep that well again, and I want to feel better when I wake up.

"Hey guys. Flight time is five hours this time, bet I can shave half an hour off." Shandra says as she walks into the waiting room.

"Better keep to schedule so someone can sleep." Sebastian says as I sit up, just noticing she has entered the room.

"Awe." She says with a giggle. "Okay, I'll take it easy on you. Doesn't look like there will be much turbulence either." She says as she walks to the plane.

"Are you okay?" Sebastian asks quietly, stroking my hand.

"Yeah, I'm sorry, I just need to sleep." I say, giving him a smile. He nods as he gives me a small smile, he holds my hands and gently kisses the back of them.

"Okay, I just hope you're as excited as I am that you're coming on this trip." He says with a cute boyish nervousness. I smile and awe as I lean on his shoulder.

"I am, I promise. Just let me sleep on you for the plane ride and it will be more obvious when we land." I say. He nods and kisses my forehead as we are called to the plane. He lets me have the window seat again and he laughs at me as I stare out of the window happily like last time. I can tell he is happier now and I am glad he is, I just wish I was too.

Once at cruising altitude I put my earphones in and gently lean on Sebastian as he does stuff on his phone. The slight muscle tenseness from him typing makes his arm uncomfortable so I rest my elbow on the window ledge and stare out of the window, my brain un-focusing again until I finally sleep, wanting to get away.

My dreamless sleep is interrupted by Sebastian pulling me so I lean on him. I have to fight to not frown, he did it very gently but it woke me up. He strokes my hair softly so I take a deep breath and fall back to sleep, deciding that will help my mood. He is more comfortable now, and I tend to sleep better when lying on someone. I should feel better when I wake up. I hope I will anyway.

I hate it when I don't dream, the emptiness leaves me feeling strange when I wake up. This time it is different. I can almost still feel the engine of the plane, I can almost still feel my cheek on Sebastian's soft suit jacket. Everything is so close but not there, it makes me feel uncomfortable, I want to reach out and feel things, I want something that isn't there, its empty. It's just darkness.