ONE

Royalty's POV

"Out of all careers why did you have to choose this one." My mom, Lizzy, asks me that question for the thousandth time. I roll my eyes and continue eating my breakfast.

"Come on, Mom, you know I've always wanted to do psychology, and I've just recently graduated. I need this job," I answer, not missing a beat. I was really getting tired of my mom asking me the same question. How many times can a person want to know what you've already told them?

"Yeah, but criminal psychology?" She questions, and I narrow my eyes at her.

"Dad is a criminal lawyer, Mom, so why is it a problem that I choose to be a criminal psychologist?" I turn and look at my father, expecting him to say something, but he doesn't. He continues reading his newspaper.

"Why is it a bad thing that I'm a criminal psychologist? Say something, Dad." My dad puts down his newspaper and looks at my mom, smiling.

"Come on, sweetie, can't you see she takes after me?" I roll my eyes at my dad's lame answer and chuckle. He always knows what to say to my mom.

"What's with this family liking criminal careers?"

My mom does have a point. My family history is full of people who chose criminal careers. My great-great-great-grandfather was a detective, my great-great-grandmother was a police woman who ended up marrying a criminal (which didn't come as a surprise). My great-grandfather was also an FBI agent, which was awesome.

Then comes my grandfather, Papa Javier. He hated criminals. He was an international bounty hunter before he retired, and he always caught his criminals. Papa Javier grew up in Colombia, so you know some serious stuff went down that made him hate criminals. At the age of 30, he moved to America and met my grandmother Natalie, a nurse from Russia. They fell in love, got married, and had my dad, who became a criminal lawyer.

And now here I am, a criminal psychologist. My mom doesn't understand the lineage that follows criminal-related careers, which is quite dangerous, and I don't fully understand it either. But I was just curious about how criminal minds work, so that's why I studied criminal psychology. Would I make enemies along the way? I hope not because I would be putting my family at risk.

My dad was lucky; he knew how to be strict when it came to criminals, and he never lost a case. He always made sure to get his facts right, but I can't help but think they bribe the judge and get away with it. Although I know my dad is a great lawyer, I've seen him in action, and he was really great. That's how I got inspired to become a criminal psychologist.

"I have to go finish getting ready, Mom. You know it's my first day today," I say, finishing up my breakfast and heading back to my room to get ready.

I know it's my first day at my job, but I wanted to keep it casual. I just got my master's degree in criminal psychology, and I recently got a job as a therapist in a prison. Yeah, I'll be sitting and speaking to a bunch of criminals. My mom wasn't happy about it, and my dad doubted it for a second, but he knew I would be fine. He was very proud that I'm becoming independent.

I finish putting on my makeup. I grab my cellphone, my pink fluffy pen, and my brand new notebook, which is pink and covered in sparkles. It may be very girly, but I love sparkles. I grab my handbag and stuff

my things in it. Finally, I take my car keys and head downstairs.

"How do I look?" I ask my parents, who are still finishing up their breakfast.

"You look great, honey," my dad replies with a grin. I giggle at the sight of that.

"Don't you think it's too casual for your first day on the job?" my mom says. I roll my eyes and walk to the door.

"Good luck, honey," my dad walks closer to me, resting his hands on my shoulders.

"Don't let anyone intimidate you," he whispers and kisses my forehead. I smile and nod.

"Love you both," I shout on my way out. I get into the car and take a deep breath. I would have never thought I would work in a prison in my life.

If Papa Javier found out I work in a prison, he would freak out and make me quit. He disagreed when I told him I wanted to study criminal psychology. It took some time to convince him, but in the end, he agreed. It wasn't his choice; I was going to study psychology with or without his permission. But because I respect him, I had to get him on board.

I did some research on the prison and found out that it housed one of the most dangerous mafia bosses. I was hoping he wouldn't be one of my patients. They didn't say anything about whom I would be diagnosing. They wanted to know my qualifications and perform a background check.

Finally, I arrive at the prison, and one of the guards stops me. I look around and see that they are heavily armed, and the security is very tight. Okay, there must be someone dangerous in there.

"ID, please?" I nod and pull out my purse from my handbag. I show him my ID, and he nods.

"I've never seen you come by here," he says, looking at me and raising his eyebrow.

"Uhm... Yeah, I'm the new psychologist," I nervously smile at him.

He nods and waves his hand at the guard standing at the gate. I drive in and park my car in the visitors' parking lot.

I take out my phone and carefully review the instructions I was given. I get out of the car and head straight into the prison. I tell the guard that I'm here to meet Antoine Kuznetsov. He takes me straight to his office. The guard tells me to wait for a second outside, then he walks into the office. A few seconds later, he walks out and tells me to go in.

"Royalty Martinez, it's a pleasure to finally meet you."

Vote. Comment. Share