Chapter 26: Goodbye High School

After my birthday the weeks seemed to fly by, graduation grew closer and closer until it was merely days away and I grew more and more nervous.

"Come on, Gracie, you must be so excited. In a few days you and Pete will be graduating and moving on to running the biggest company in the world." Ned gushed as we sat down for the last lunch we would have in the school cafeteria.

"I'm excited sure, I just...I'm gonna miss seeing you guys everyday." I sighed as I picked at my food.

"Are you regretting the whole early graduation decision?" MJ asked and I shrugged.

"No, I mean I'm so excited to be taking over SI and keeping my dad's legacy alive." I began.

"But?" MJ interrupted.

"I'm just wondering if I'm ready for this." I shrugged, taking a sip of my soda.

"Babe, you are more than ready. Before school started you ran SI for months, without anyones help. You are more than ready for this Evie. Everyone knows it. Your mum knows it, I know it, hell even your dad knew you would be ready when he wrote the will." Peter tried to convince me.

"But what if I mess things up, what if things go down hill as soon as I take over?" I worried. Pete grabbed my hand, intertwining our fingers, bringing my hand to his lips.

"Then, things go down hill. As long as you work hard and try your best, then your mum and dad will be proud." He assured me. I gave him a soft smile and leaned over, resting my head on his shoulder.

"Why can't I just wait it out, graduate with your guys?" I sighed sadly.

"Look, I would love nothing more than for you to stay here and graduate with Ned and I, but I'm not going to let you throw away everything for a few memories that will be forgotten in a few years anyway." MJ insisted.

"Me...forget you two...never." I grinned sitting up and reaching over the table to take their hands. "After graduation, when Pete and I move upstate, we're gonna have you guys over all the time." I offered.

Before the two could say anything the bell rang for the last class of the day and I huffed.

"Come on, Evie, it's Mr Harrington, you like his class." Ned reminded me and I nodded.

"Yeah, your right." I smiled as we made out way into the classroom and sat ready.

Through out class Pete and I sat and doodled.

"Now, to end this class, I'd like to say a few words. In a few days, two of our own will be leaving this after today they will be graduating and leaving us, so I'd like to wish Mr Parker and Miss Stark all the luck in their futures and I hope you guys achieve everything you hope to. Good Luck guys." He smiled as he walked over handing both Pete and I an envelope each.

"Thanks Mr H." I smiled at him.

"Yeah, thanks Mr Harrington."

"OK class, that's it for this year, stay safe and have a great summer. Evie, Pete, see you guys at graduation."

We all packed up at the final bell and I stood, only to hear a demanding voice behind us.

"Who the hell let you two losers graduate early while me, being 20 times smarter than you two, is stuck in this hell whole...my dad is so going to hear about this bullshit." Flash snapped as he stood in front of me, blocking my way.

"Your daddy can't pay your way into early graduation, you have to have brains for that." I passed him. "Besides, you gonna barely graduate as it is and then you're gonna live of daddy's money until he sees sence and cuts you off."

"Right, because you have plans after graduation." He laughed harshly, crossing his arms over his chest smugly.

"I have a job as it goes." I shrugged.

"What, working as a receptionist in your dads company because your to dumb for anything else?" He laughed, caursing the people who had gathered around us to laugh also.

"Try running Stark Industries moron, after we graduate, I take over the company and Pete will be helping me." I huffed grabbing my bag.

"Yeah, right, and I'm gonna be the president." He laughed.

I decided Flash wasn't worth my time so I mad one last snarky comment about how I would miss him least of all and I pulled Peter out of the class room to find Ned and MJ waiting for us by our lockers, ones we had already cleaned out. I grabbed my last few things and crammed them into my bag before the four of us walked out silently.

We all stopped at the car and I turned around to my best friends.

"You guys are gonna visit us upstate right?" I asked, a little worried.

"Of course, we gotta see the new house as soon as it's done." MJ smiled sadly.

"Actually the house is almost done, we just have to move our stuff in next week." I informed her and she nodded.

"Well, how about, we help you pack and move stuff in?" She offered and I nodded.

"We'd appreciate that." Peter answered.

"We'll see you at graduation right?" I asked and they both nodded.

"Yes, and then we will talk all the time on the phone, in a few years I'll be you maid of honour and Ned Pete's best man. Your kids will call my Aunt MJ...you are not getting rid of us this easily you hear me. This isn't good bye OK." She laughed as she pulled me into a tight hug.

"GROUP HUG!" Ned yelled and MJ and I were crushed into Pete and Neds arms. The hug lasted a while before Pete and I had to pull away.

"I'll see you a few days." I smiled as I waved at the two. Pete did the same before we climbed into the car and the driver drove off.

"Are you OK?" Pete asked after a long silence.

"Yeah, just...not quit ready to say goodbye to high school." I smiled sadly as I lent over and rest my head on his shoulder.

"Yeah..." he sighed kissing my head. "Me neither."

I suddenly remembered the envelope Mr H had given me so I sat up and pulled it out of my bag. In side was an card the read 'HAPPY GRADUATION!'

Inside was a note that read:
To Evie,
Happy Graduation, good luck in your future endeavors, don't forget about your favourite teacher too quickly.
Good Luck at SI
All the best,
Mr Harrington

I let out a chuckle as I read it.

"You good?"

"Yeah, just reading the card Mr H gave us." I smiled up at him, resting my head on his shoulder once again and that was how I stayed as the car drove us to SI to work out so details for the big take over in a couple months time.