Peggy Carter

Steve introduced me to Peggy after the museum. She was sweet and I loved her from the beginning. I had barely met her and yet, I felt like she was family. She was now 96 and living in hospice.

Steve and I sat in chairs next to her bed. "You should be proud of yourself, Peggy." Steve said, looking at old pictures of Peggy and her family on her nightstand.

"Mmm. I have lived a life. My only regret is that you didn't get to live yours." Peggy replied. Steve looked at her, then at his hands in his lap. "What is it?"

"For as long as I can remember, I just wanted to do what was right. I guess I'm not quite sure what that is anymore. And I thought I could throw myself back in and follow orders. Serve. It's just not the same."

"You're always so dramatic." Peggy laughed. Steve smiled and looked at the wall. "Look, you saved the world. We rather mucked it up."

"You didn't. Knowing that you helped found SHIELD is half the reason I stay." Steve said.

"Hey." Peggy grabbed Steve's hand. "The world has changed, and none of us can go back. All we can do is our best. And sometimes the best that we can do is to start over." Peggy coughed and Steve stood up. I poured her a glass of water and handed it to Steve.

"Peggy." Steve offered her the cup.

Peggy looked at Steve with wide eyes, as if she had forgotten he was alive. "Steve."

"Yeah?"

Peggy gasped. "You're alive. You came back." Tears filled her eyes.

"Yeah, Peggy." Tears began to fill Steve's eyes.

"It's been so long. So long." Peggy cried.

"Well, I couldn't leave my best girl. Not when she owes me a dance."