Engaging

"They're initiating launch." Maria informed through my earpiece.

I could hear the roar of the helicarriers as they readied for launch, sirens going off. The sound shook the building. Sam, Steve and I ran toward the helicarriers. Steve's shield was on his arm, his helmet on his head. Sam's goggles were over his eyes. My long dark ponytail whipped behind me as I ran. I wasn't sure how to feel about the situation. I was a bit nervous, yeah, but mostly determined. We were going to get the job done, no matter what it took. That much I knew. We had to.

"Hey, Cap, how do we know the good guys from the bad guys?" Sam asked. It was a fair question.

"If they're shooting at you, they're bad." Steve replied.

"Very helpful, Cap." I commented.

Sam powered up his wings and they unfolded just before he took off. 

Each of us decided to take a helicarrier. I went for the first, Sam the second, and Steve the third.

Steve jumped down onto his helicarrier while I turned and went for mine, which was already too high up for me to get to. 

"Sam, I'm gonna need a lift." I spoke into my wrist communicator, still running.

"On my way." Sam replied.

A second later, I could hear Sam flying toward me. I extended my arms and jumped toward him. He caught my hands just as he reached me and flew me toward my helicarrier. Sam flew over the runway on the carrier, then let go of my hands, and I fell feet first toward it. My feet hit the ground and I rolled to cushion my fall, immediately getting back up and running again. 

"Hey, Cap, I found those bad guys you were talking about." Sam exclaimed, just moments after dropping me on my helicarrier.

"You okay?" Steve asked.

"I'm not dead yet."

Squadrons of men came at me, weapons drawn and ready to shoot. I jumped up onto a pile of crates, jumped off as I pulled my two handguns out, shooting each of the men. When one man threw a grenade, I shot it, blowing it up in front of them rather than me.

"Falcon, status?" Maria asked.

"Engaging." Sam replied.

I ran at the next squadron of men. As I got closer, they began to shoot. Time slowed and I easily dodged the bullets. I felt like I was in the Matrix. As they continued to fire, I did too, nailing each one either in the head or the heart. 

"All right, Cap. I'm in." Sam said. Then he swore, and I had a feeling that he was in a bit of trouble.

I continued to run, taking out anyone that got in my way. When I got close enough for hand-to-hand combat, I did just that, but I did try to stay farther away. A man widened his stance as he aimed at me. I ran at him, then dropped to the ground, sliding between his legs. I stood up, spun around, and quickly kicked the man in the back of the head, my heel connecting with his skull. He instantly collapsed to the ground.

"Eight minutes, Cap." Maria informed.

"Working on it." Steve replied.

I rounded a corner and found the door that would take me to the targeting blades, just a few yards away. I ran toward the door, then slid to a stop as a woman in tactical gear stood in front of the door, an AR15 in her hands and a helmet over her head. She looked like she was part of the STRIKE team. She moved her gun to her side and removed the helmet, tossing it to the side. 

I recognized her. But how? 

She had long blond hair pulled into a high ponytail. Her blue eyes sparkled in the sunlight. She reminded me of a barbie doll, but that wasn't why I recognized her.