Bringing Down the Last Helicarrier

I tried to stand up, using the railing for support. Pain shot through my stomach, shoulder and thigh from the wounds Bucky had left me with. 

Why did I see a memory I shared with Bucky? What was it? Did Steve know?

I took a step toward the blades, but my legs wouldn't have it. They buckled and I fell to the ground, landing on my stomach. Tears streamed down my face as the pain worsened. 

Was this how I was going to die? I had never felt this weak, it scared me.

Bucky ran down the stairs and looked at me, before standing at my end of the catwalk, guarding the blades. Steve walked down the stairs, and I knew he didn't see me yet.

Steve looked at Bucky sadly. I knew he didn't want to attack Bucky. They had gone through so much together. And apparently, so had Bucky and I.

Steve's eyes scanned the area and that's when he saw me. I must have looked terrible, the look on Steve's face said that I was already dead. I pulled myself up and sat against the case that held the targeting blades.

"Are you alright?" Steve asked, ignoring Bucky.

"Don't worry about me...We need to get these helicarriers...out of the sky." I gasped.

Steve nodded, then looked at Bucky. "I can't let you do this, Buck. People are going to die."

Bucky didn't say a word.

I tried to create my fire again, wanting to heal my wounds, to help Steve, but I wasn't able to.

"Please don't make me do this." Steve's voice trembled a bit.

Bucky still said nothing. Steve grabbed his shield and threw it at his former friend, who blocked it with his metal arm. 

As they fought, I groaned, trying to think, trying to keep myself from being useless. Sweat began to form over my body and I felt cold. My breathing became more labored and I felt like I was going to vomit. 

Looking over, I watched as Bucky leapt at Steve, both of them going over the railing.

I tried to light the fire again and this time I was successful. A ball of weak flames danced in my palm. I released the fire, letting it snake over my body to heal me. I healed as quickly as I could, everything still painful. I wasn't able to heal myself all the way, but I was able to at least cauterize the gun wound in my shoulder and the stab wound in my stomach, keeping myself from bleeding out. By the time I tried to do the same for my leg, my flames went out, too weak to do anything else.

I heard a gunshot, followed by Steve groaning. I stood up, using the railing as support, pressing my hand into my thigh. I still felt pain in the other wounds, but they were bearable. Another gunshot rang out. Steve rolled in between the railing back onto the catwalk. He limped toward the console, a bullet hole in his leg and another in his shoulder.

"30 seconds, Cap." Maria said.

"Stand by." Steve groaned. Using the little strength I had left, I put my disc into Steve's hand and he got ready to put it into place. "Charlie..." he groaned as another gunshot was fired.

"Steve!" I cried.

The bullet pierced his lower back, going all the way through to his stomach. Steve fell to the ground, sitting with his back against the console. He breathed heavily from the pain. I stumbled toward Steve, my leg buckling before I reached him. Stumbling some more, I fell beside Steve, my leg throbbing. I sat with my back against the console as well, panting. I began to panic as I looked at his wounds. My hands hovered over him, not knowing what to do. Usually I was able to handle a situation like this, but I couldn't this time.