Steve Learns the Truth

"W-What?" Steve looked at me, confused. "Is that a threat?"

I shook my head sadly. "No. I...I didn't know how to tell you, and honestly I didn't even want to tell you. But, I was kidnapped when I was young, and I was trained to hunt you down. I was given a serum that would make me powerful enough to kill you. But then HYDRA tried to kill me before I even set off for my first mission with you. I lost my memory of all of that, I didn't remember a single thing. I thought I could be happy, but then Ashley showed up on the helicarrier that day and now..."

"Alexx, you don't need to worry, I can take care of myself. You would have had a hard time killing me." Steve assured.

I laughed, but it wasn't a happy laugh. "You have no idea what I'm capable of. What kind of training I went through. I studied your movement, your past, everything. I'm...I'm just like Bucky."

Steve stepped back. "Tell me it's not true. That this is all just an elaborate prank. A rude and stupid prank."

I shook my head. "I'm sorry, Steve...but it's true."

Steve shook his head and turned away from me. He then left the room, leaving me behind. I reached out to him, wanting him to stay, to listen. But I stayed, letting him run. He had the right to hate me, especially now. I was a monster now, I didn't deserve to be loved.

I fell to my knees and cried into my hands. No one in this tower was going to like me anymore, if they even liked me in the first place.

Tears streaming down my face, I screamed into my hands now, angry that I had told Steve the truth. Everyone had to know now, and I'd be alone. 

"J-JARVIS, please tell Nat...that I need her." I cried.

After a minute, Nat ran into the gym. She slid on her knees and stopped in front of me. "Alexx, are you okay? What's wrong? JARVIS said you were crying, that you and Steve got into a fight."

I looked at Nat and she was able to see my face, tear stained and a bit bloody from Steve's punch.

"Alexx? What's wrong?" Nat took my hands in hers and wiped away my tears. "Talk to me."

"I told him..." I whispered. Looking straight into Nat's eyes, more tears formed. "Nat, he told me he loved me, and then I told him he shouldn't because of my past. I told him everything, Nat. He...he hates me. He ran away from me." 

"No, Steve would never do that." Nat shook her head. 

"I can't stay here. I have to leave." I stood up and headed for the door. 

"Alexx, you can't just leave. You can't run from your problems, they will catch up to you. I'm speaking from experience, and you know it."

I shook my head and sighed. "Fine. I won't leave forever, but I am going for a walk."

"But it's going to rain." Nat said.

"I don't care." I left the room and went to my room. I put on a black cocoon coat, zipping it up all the way. Then I put on some gloves, pulled my hair out of the ponytail and just let it hang limp around my shoulders.

I walked through the tower and I immediately felt the tension in the air. No one looked at me nicely as I went. News of my past must have passed through the tower already, and no one liked it. No one liked me.

I sighed and left the tower with ease, no one stopping me or wanting to talk to me. I felt alone now, more than I ever had. 

Once outside, I was hit by the sounds of the city during the afternoon. It had been so quiet in the tower that I had almost forgotten I was in New York. I sighed and put my hands in my pockets, heading straight for Central Park. I wanted to be somewhere I knew no one would know about my past, where I would fit in at least a little.

This soon became a regular thing for me, going to Central Park. I even went to the zoo several times a week, the animals and I seeming to develop a relationship of sorts. 

They wouldn't judge me for my past.