remus lupin : nightmares

(Y/N) tossed and turned in her bed, unable to find a position in which she could fall asleep. No matter how hard (Y/N) tried she couldn't seem to shake the images from her nightmare from her head. She groaned before throwing herself from her bed and starting off down the hall.

The nightmares had become a pretty frequent occurrence this year at Hogwarts. She supposed she wasn't the only one though, ever since the rise of Voldemort and the Death Eaters. It seemed like every day there was another article in the Daily Prophet about how another Muggle Born Family was slaughtered.

(Y/N) heard they crackle of the fire in the Gryffindor Common Room as she descended the staircase. Even though the fire was lit by magic, it was only supposed to burn when there was someone in the Common Room. She began to wonder who else was awake at this hour.

She caught sight of long legs hanging off the edge of the couch that sat directly in front of the fire place. As she rounded the side of the couch she could barely make out the face of the figure asleep on the couch. (Y/N) smiled as she saw that it was Remus Lupin, a fourth year Gryffindor like herself.

Remus was spread out across the couch with two or three books laid out across his lap. One arm was draped across his stomach, holding onto one of the books with loose fingers, the other was stuck in his hair as if he had fallen asleep while trying to keep his long hair out of his face.

(Y/N) laughed lightly, reaching down to collect Remus' books from his lap. She then shook his shoulder lightly, "Remus." Her voice was soft, not wanting to scare him as she woke him. She would hate for him to drop his books in the morning or wake not well rested because he wanted to get a little bit more study time in.

Remus' eyes shot open, and he immediately reached for his books when he woke. He sat up quickly, eyes jumping to (Y/N) - who was still holding his books - and he smiled. "Oh (Y/N)." Remus said, moving back on the couch and running a hand through his tossled hair. "What time is it?" He asked her, looking over at the window to see that there was no light streaming in from outside the castle.

"It's just after three I believe." (Y/N) told him, seeing his books between them and sitting on the other end of the couch.

She could see his face blush in the light of the fireplace, "Oh I must have fallen asleep studying for Potions again." He mumbled to himself, looking slightly embarrassed.

(Y/N) nodded, she wasn't sure what she was really supposed to say at Remus at this point. They had never been the closest of friends, only interacting in passing, at Quiddtich games, and in classes they had together.

The only sound that filled the room was the cracking of the fire in front of them. (Y/N) shifted so she could place her feet on couch, and rest her head on the back of the couch. Although she was tired beyond imagine she couldn't close her eyes without picturing headlines with her and her families names across them.

Remus spoke first, "Why are you still awake (Y/N)?" He asked her, leaning against the arm of the couch himself. Remus now has one leg bent and the other resting on the floor, two arms raised above his head as he stretched.

"Oh." (Y/N) started quietly, staring deeply into the fire. "I couldn't sleep." She told him casually.

Remus seemed to study her features for a moment. "You've been having them too?" He asked next, turning his head quickly when she turned to look at him. "The nightmares that is, the ones about You-Know-Who." Remus continued when she didn't immediately respond to what he had said.

(Y/N) nodded. At first she didn't seem to trust her voice, but Remus didn't see her. "Yeah, they just started this year." She admitted to him. (Y/N) wasn't sure why she was telling Remus, someone she barely knew, about her nightmares. Maybe it was because she hadn't talked to anyone about them, and knowing for sure that someone else was having them too made her feel better.

"Most of the time-" Remus started, before clearing his throat. "I see my friends getting tortured and there's nothing I can do about it." He explained to her, feeling his heart sink at the thought of Peter, Sirius and James getting hurt. They had been his family for the past four years, helping him through everything and caring for him unconditionally.

"Yeah." She agreed. "I see my family." (Y/N) mumbled, admitting to Remus that she was in fact Muggle Born. It wasn't a secret that she was a Muggle Born, but in times like these admitting so wasn't always safe.

Remus stiffened at her comment, feeling anger and sadness take over him as she spoke. The desperation and fear layered beneath tone frightened him. Remus hated to see such a sweet girl seem so afraid for her own safety, it didn't seem right to him.

"I'm sorry (Y/N)." He apologized quickly, as if he himself had done something. Remus turned in his seat so he could face her, seeing that she was practically shaking as she looked down at the flames.

(Y/N) was taken back by Remus' words. She looked over at him questionably, raising her eyebrows before turning back to look at the fireplace. "You don't have to apologize to me Remus." She told him, shaking her head and closing her eyes for a moment. "I mean it's not like you're-" (Y/N) stopped mid-sentence, realizing that she didn't exactly know Remus well enough to make that statement.

Remus smiled at her, "No I'm not." He reassured her, reaching across the back of the couch to rest his hand on her shoulder. "But that doesn't change the fact that I'm sorry, you shouldn't have to worry about these kinds of things." Remus said, gazing over at (Y/N).

She smiled at him, leaning for her back into his hand, almost shutting as he ran his thumb across her shoulder. "Well I appreciate that Remus."

"Well I appreciate you waking me." He said, laughing lightly at her reaction to him.

(Y/N) nodded to him, but as she went to respond to Remus a yawn rippled through her body. She quickly covered her mouth and arched her back into it for a second, before returning to her spot on the couch.

"Tired?" Remus asked.

(Y/N) nodded, "I'm always tired." She told him, moving closer to Remus on the couch. "But you know this is the first time in months I've felt relaxed enough to sleep." She admitted to Remus, flashing him a large smile, a blush creeping up her face.

Remus smiled back at her. "Well that's good." He told her, gently rubbing circles on her arm. "Let's go to bed, I will talk to you in the morning."

"Promise?" (Y/N) asked quickly. She knew it sounded odd, considering they barely knew each other.

"I promise." Remus responded, excited that she seemed just as desperate to talk to him again as he was to speak to her.