fred weasley : self preservation

"Hello boys." (Y/N) cheered as she dropped down into place across from Fred and George Weasley. She set her pile of books and notebooks down and began unpacking them, preparing to do work during her assigned study hall.

Fred smiled up at her and responded first, "Little late today aren't we love?" He asked in a surprisingly hushed tone.

George nodded in agreement, "Especially with Snape ministering us today." He pointed out, jabbing his hand in the direction at the Slytherin House Head and Potions Professor.

(Y/N) rolled her eyes, "I was helping McGonagall with a few things for next weeks lesson in Transfigurations, trust me Snape isn't going to dare to say anything to me." She told them, finally opening up her notes for her classes.

"Lucky you, he's been staring us down since we came in." Fred said, flickering his gaze to Snape - who was in fact looking directly at them - for a moment.

"That's because you're always prancing him." (Y/N) said with a soft chuckle.

George interjected, "Hey, he can't prove that."

(Y/N) rolled her eyes, "Exactly my point, he's trying to see if he can catch you." She pointed out the obvious to her friends.

Both the boys nodded in agreement before looking down at their work with a huff. George was right, everyone in Hogwarts knew that the twins - with (Y/N)'a occasional help - were responsible for the pranks. However, they almost always seemed to get away without getting caught. Most of the time they preset their pranks but if they happened to be questioned about their whereabouts, (Y/N) usually claimed to have been with them.

(Y/N) had been doing it for them only recently, Fred had batted his eyes at her once and she had caved immediately. She was convinced he knew she had feelings for him; just from the way that he smiled at her or flirted with her or was always the one to ask her for something. Sometimes she had to remind herself that Fred acted like that normally, that he was a natural flirt and that she wasn't special.

On the other hand, all of her other friends were convinced Fred was just as smitten with (Y/N) as she was with him. They claimed that Fred was constantly following her around and asking about her when she wasn't around and always looking at her with big puppy dog eyes.

"Oh come on George it's not that difficult." Fred's voice caught (Y/N)'s attention, drawing her out of her focus on her Herbology notes.

She raised her eyebrows at the boys across from her, "What are we arguing about now?"

George sighed, his cheeks flushing with embarrassment, "I still don't have a Yule Ball date."

"Well neither do I." (Y/N) said, her gaze momentarily flicking to Fred. Ask me, she pleaded in her mind. She looked back to George and smiled, "Just ask someone you think you'll have a good time with." There was a look of uncertainly on his face. "Besides everyone loves you, any girl would gladly say yes."

Fred's eyebrows creased, "You don't have a date?"

(Y/N) swallowed, "No." Tension rose in her chest, hope filling her as she hoped his next question would be him asking her to be his date. Her hand clenched her quill, eyes locked with Fred's for far to long.

"No ones asked?"

(Y/N) shook her head, "No." She cleared her throat and quickly looked back down to her notes. "Just not anyone I've said yes to yet." (Y/N) shrugged to attempt to look casual, not that she was sure it worked.

Fred nodded, his gaze still held on her for a moment before he returned to the earlier topic. "It's really not that hard Georgie, here watch this." He slapped his brother in the shoulder to gain his attention.