fred weasley : comfort in a friend

(Y/N) walked as fast as she could without running from McGonagalls office to the Gryffindor common room, her head hung and books clenched to her chest. With every passing second she found it increasingly hard not to cry, tears clouding her vision.

When she finally reached the Common Room she hoped that no one would try and speak to her, but when she caught sight of a set of red haired boys that hope quickly diminished.

"Oh hey (Y/N)!" Called George, looking up from the piece of paper that sat in front of him.

Fred quickly turned around as George called her name, "Wow where the fire?" He joked, standing up just as she blew past them.

Both Fred and George were shocked by this action. (Y/N) had never blown them off in such a fashion, if she needed space she would just tell them that she was busy or hadn't had a good day and that she would catch up with them later.

Fred glanced down at his brother, "I'll be back." He mumbled, taking off after (Y/N) as she started up the stairs to her room. Fred thanked Godric that he and George had found a way around McGonagalls spell, or else he would have fallen the second he stepped right up the staircase. He reached the top of the stairs just as the boom of (Y/N)'s suite door slamming rippled down the hallway. Fred knew better than to just walk into her room, especially when she was so obviously upset, so he knocked lightly.

After a few seconds without a response Fred raised his hand to knock again, just as (Y/N) pulled the door open. Her gaze was still fixed on the ground and she was hid almost entirely behind the door. She didn't look up at Fred, she only made her way back to her bed.

Fred entered hesitantly, still not sure why she was so upset, and closed the door. He moved to take a seat next to her on the bed. Fred knee that when (Y/N) was upset it was just best to wait and let her speak, that by pushing her she would only shut down further.

She let out a deep sigh, "My aunt passed." (Y/N) said in a quiet tone, her eyes fixed on her idle hands.

Fred immediately reached out, moving himself closer so she was just in arms reach. His arms quickly curled around (Y/N), pulling them together. "(Y/N) I'm so-"

"Please don't say sorry." She shook her head against the crook of his neck. The last thing that (Y/N) needed was one more person giving her their condolences or telling her just how sorry they were for her loss, it only made her feel worse.

"Okay." Fred mumbled, running his hand flat against her back. "Just tell me what you need." He insisted, not sure what to do in this situation.

(Y/N) nodded, letting silence fall between them for the longest time. She then lifted her head from Fred's chest, her face only a few inches from his face. (Y/N) let her lips part, eyes flickering to Fred's lip for a moment. When she moved forward to being her lips to his, Fred jerked his head back.

"(Y/N)." He whispered, a confused and shocked look running across his face. His hands still rested on her hips, their bodies pressed close together.

She gulped, feeling guilt run through her. "I'm sorry." (Y/N) whispered, lowering her eyes to shield her now glossy eyes from him.

Fred wasn't sure what he was supposed to say, they had been friends for so long and he had never really thought of her in that way. But something about the desperate look across her face and the crack in her voice made Fred more inclined to give into her. He would hate to not help a friend in a time of need.