00.

Hogwarts was more magnificent than any of the young eleven-year-olds could have possibly imagined

Hogwarts was more magnificent than any of the young eleven-year-olds could have possibly imagined. Sure, most of the children had heard stories from their parents or older siblings, but this was one of the rare occasions where reality was so much more impressive than anything their creative minds could have conjured.

They stood clustered in a small chamber, anxiously waiting for the witch in emerald-green robes to return for them. The room was buzzing with nervous and anxious murmurs.

The door creaked open and the witch, Professor McGonagall, from before had reentered the small chamber. She peered at the young students, her lips pursed in a thin line.

"We are ready for you," She said swiftly. And at her words, a nervous silence fell over the students. "Form a line and follow me."

The children did as they were told and followed the witch into the Great Hall. Fiona nervously walked beside her twin brother, Cedric. Her arm was linked with Cedric, and she felt comfortable and safe in his presence, so safe she hardly relied on the small wooden cane she held in her other hand.

They were surrounded by whispers and snickers from all sides, coming from the older students seated at their house tables. Fiona felt trapped as the sounds of the other students seemed to suffocate her.

"Our brother Charlie was telling us the sorting is really hard," A boy whispered to another student from behind Fiona and Cedric. Fiona's grip on Cedric tightened.

She hadn't considered there'd be a test to get sorted? How could she possibly pass any type of challenge? Was there a house full of students who failed or gave up during the sorting test? Had no one ever failed or given up before? Would she be the first? Would they just send her back on the train home?

A knot formed in the pit of her stomach.

"Did he tell you what it was?" A student whispered to the boy.

"Nah, but Bill said a boy died his year," A third voice supplied.

Death?!

Fiona nearly turned around, it was only Cedric's tight grip on her arm that kept her marching forward.

"It's the Weasley twins - don't listen to them. Mum said it was easy," Cedric whispered in her ear. He was glancing over his shoulder, scowling at Fred and George Weasley. The twins were grinning at the looks of horror on their classmates faces.

"Look at the ceiling!" A student ahead of them gasped.

"Is there a ceiling?" Another responded, sounding just as amazed as the girl standing beside him.

"What if it rains? Will they teach us a spell to keep our food from getting wet? I can't live off soggy toast!"

Cedric leaned closer to Fiona. "The ceiling is bewitched to look like the sky, stars and all!" He whispered.