17.

The cold December air tore through the castle like an angry Mountain Troll

The cold December air tore through the castle like an angry Mountain Troll. Students from every house and school remained hidden, huddled in the warmth of their quarters, clutching steaming cups of tea. Half of the student body snuggled together with their housemates, wearing enchanted heated slippers and blankets that were magically charmed to wrap the wearer in a cozy cocoon.

A terrible head cold had been ravishing the student population for the last few days. None of the young students were keen on leaving their beds while sporting puffy eyes and stuffy noses, not while they still remained dateless at least.

Since the announcement of the Yule Ball, romance seemed to be dancing on the frigid wind as it whipped through the cracks in the castle walls. It had given some students the perfect opportunity to proclaim their concealed feelings for one another. For other students, it brought on a bout of anxiety and fear. Regardless of if the ball was a blessing or a curse, the students of Hogwarts had been on their best behavior in the weeks leading up to the ball, well, most of the students.

"40 seconds," Lee said as he glanced at the pocket watch in his hand before taking a bite of his licorice wand. Fred scowled at him from the corridor floor. His broom hovered above his head.

"It's all about a strong core," George bragged from the other end of the corridor, gently patting his abdominal muscles. He was standing on his broom, which was floating three feet off the floor.

"Shut up," Fred grunted as he rubbed his arse cheek, it had served to break his fall only moments ago. George jumped from his broom, grinning eagerly at Fred and Lee.

"Want to go again?" George asked, still grinning at his comrades.

"Naw, this is getting boring," Lee yawned as he tucked his wand into the base of the pony tail that held his dreaded hair together. "I have Care in a minute anyway," Lee shrugged.

"One more! Let's make it interesting!" Fred said from the ground.

"Well, go on," George smirked.

"If I can stand on my broom longer than you," Fred said, his arms were languidly draped over his hovering broom. "Then I get out of testing the nose bleeders for a month," Fred finally said challenged.

Nosebleed Nougats were a product Fred and George were in the early stages of development. For the past few weeks they had been taking turns as the test subject for the product. Finding a way to stop the nosebleeds was proving a difficult challenge, and as a result the twins were appearing paler than usual as of late.

George glanced over at Lee, their commissioner.

Lee thought for a moment, nodding silently at the idea before shrugging. "I'll allow it."

"On your marks," Lee said, he held one hand above his head.

"Get set," Fred jumped to his feet and George let his broom hover horizontally three feet from the ground.