18.

Fiona was filled with an impish glee as she made her way towards the Hufflepuff common room

Fiona was filled with an impish glee as she made her way towards the Hufflepuff common room. Her head throbbed from the cold, and he nose seemed to be running endlessly, and despite that, Fiona hadn't been so happy in weeks. She felt as if she was walking on a path of clouds. There was nothing that could ruin her good mood.

As she approached the Hufflepuff common room she was greeted with the strong stench of vinegar – someone must have gotten the password wrong.

Alfie stood by one of the barrels outside the common room entrance, tapping away every possible incorrect rhythm. He had two goblets in his hands and as the ceiling opened up to douse him in a waterfall of vinegar he held the glass goblets in the air, collecting as much vinegar as possible.

"Almost..." He hissed as he examined the nearly filled goblets.

"Alfie?" Fiona asked. She was covering her nose from the foul and bitter smell that was filling the corridor.

"Hey Fiona," Alfie said, pausing from tapping another incorrect password on the barrels.

"What are you doing?" She asked, her face twisting at the smell.

"The bloody house elves won't give me anymore vinegar," Alfie grumbled as he glared at the painting of a bowl of fruit at the end of the corridor. "I'd bet Godric's sword Flitwick told them not to," he added indignantly.

"Vinegar?"

"I did it, Fiona, I finally did it!" Alfie said, his face lighting up with elation. "I turned vinegar into wine!"

For the past week the 6th year students had been learning how to turn vinegar into wine during their charms lessons. It was a particularly difficult spell to master. No one in the class, even Malcolm, who had always been particularly skilled at charms, had managed to properly preform the spell.

Alfie, while never a particularly studious member of the Hufflepuff house, had made it his soul mission to turn vinegar into wine.

"You did?!" Fiona exclaimed.

It truly was the best day.

"Well don't act so surprised!" He retorted.

"This is brilliant, Alfie!" Fiona cheered. Alfie smiled proudly.

"Heidi's in the kitchens now trying to persuade the house elves to give her a jar of vinegar," Alfie said. "But they've been real testy with her ever since she started wearing that spew badge. I don't think she's gonna get a drop of the stuff from them," he added, slightly crestfallen at their circumstances.

"You two will find a way! There's so much to celebrate today!" Fiona said with a beaming smile. Alfie studied her face with undeniable skepticism. 

"What's got you so chuffed?" He asked.

"It's just a beautiful day," Fiona replied in a dreamy voice.