ᴛᴡᴏ.

✰✰✰

✰✰✰

𝘾𝙝𝙖𝙥𝙩𝙚𝙧 𝙏𝙬𝙤:
"The Auditions."

I watched as the first group of auditionees performed the warm up routine Carlos had given them, and checked over the schedule for the rest of the auditions and stood off to the side to watch.

"Okay our last Troy. Ooh! And he comes with props! Love it!" Miss Jen said excitedly. It was EJ's turn to audition and I was curious to say the least as to how his would turn out.

"Whenever you're ready."

Seb started playing the piano, and EJ began singing 'The Start Of Something New'.

Not bad. Not bad at all.

"Well excuse me, Armie Hammer just called and wants his jawline back." Miss Jen joked. No one laughed.

Awkward...

"We're moving onto the Gabriella's!"

A girl named Gina was up first, and she was amazing. If I was Miss Jen, I would've picked her straight away.

But I'm not, so I stood there quietly and watched as Nini took to the stage.

"Okay Nini, whenever you're ready."

Before she could start however, the door opened with a loud clang, and Ricky came running in with his guitar. I rolled my eyes.

"Am I too late? Am I too late?!"

"We're all set on Troy's, we're low on Chad's. You can read after the Gabriella's." Miss Jen told him.

"I only studied the Troy scenes, in the movie." Ricky replied.

"Troy would've arrived on time." Carlos interjected. Miss Jen politely told him to be quiet and let Nini continue. EJ cheered for her and then suddenly the lights went off. I rubbed my face in frustration and let out a sigh.

This audition couldn't be more worse.

"Nobody panic." Miss Jen said. "Nini, let's wait for the lights to come back on, I don't want this to throw you."

"I'm not thrown." Nini said, and began singing. Ricky walked up to her with his phone flashlight on and I rolled my eyes as EJ immediately got up and did the same, clearly out of jealousy.

The lights came back on as Nini finished with confidence and I was impressed. Miss Jen had a tough decision to make that's for sure.

"You, late boy, let's do the Chad sides." Miss Jen said to Ricky.

He took the stage, glancing at Nini as she sat back down.

There was so much tension in the room and it made me so uncomfortable.

I stand corrected. This audition is the worst I've ever been to.

"Hey there, I'm Ricky Bowen, I'm a Junior and uh, here goes..." Ricky began.

I have never seen Ricky even step foot into the theatre before so the fact that he was auditioning for this musical, had me highly intrigued. I assumed he was only here for Nini, which as a theatre geek kinda offends me but I'm curious nonetheless.

He started reading the script and I could tell he wasn't getting into this at all...but then he scrunched up the script and started improvising.

I'll give him props for that.

"And maybe you can't stop, beating yourself up for totally blowing it with her." He said, looking at Nini. She avoided his gaze.

"And look Troy, even if you never said the 'L' word to Gabriella, cause that's not even a word your parents say to each other anymore..." He continued. "It doesn't mean that you don't. Maybe it just means you were waiting for the right time to say it, so that everyone could hear it!" Ricky said loudly, his voice echoing a little.

I shared an uncomfortable look with Natalie, the other stage manager, and neither of us quite knew what was happening.

"So that she could hear it." Ricky whispered, still looking at Nini, who was looking back at him with glassy eyes.

"Okay kiddo, time to sing." Miss Jen said, breaking the silence.

Ricky dismissed Seb on the piano and announced he had his own song prepared. He pulled out his guitar and began playing a song that sounded awfully familiar but I couldn't quite put my finger on where I'd heard it before.

He had great voice and honestly, I'm surprised he's not auditioned for anything prior to this.

Everyone, except Nini and EJ clapped as he finished the song, Natalie and I finished a few last minute things before heading back to the dressing room to grab our stuff.

"That was an interesting audition." I said.

"What a comeback." Natalie replied, grinning.

I snorted a laugh. "See you later Nat."

"Bye Sam."

I waved goodbye to her and exited the auditorium. I came to a stop in the hallway though when I heard Nini and Ricky having another heated argument.

I know it's rude to eavesdrop but I already feel like they've shared their entire breakup situation enough so what's listening in to one more conversation going to do?

"Let me tell you about the old me. The old me had her heart broken okay, and then she went away and she found herself, and you don't get to show up now to try and...confuse things." Nini said.

"You think that's why I'm here?" Ricky asked. "No, no Nini...I always believed in you. In us. Even if I sucked at showing it. That's why I'm here..."

Carlos ran past me holding a green piece of paper before I could listen to anymore and I followed after him and the rest of the students, avoiding looking at the ex couple.

Miss Jen must have selected the cast already.

"Chad? She thinks I'm a Chad?" EJ complained.

I rolled my eyes, stepping out of the way as Ricky walked past me and to the front of the group.

"Holy crap dude." Big red said.

By the awkward silence, and glances between Ricky, Nini and EJ, I figured that Ricky must've been given the role of Troy.

This is definitely going to be the most...interesting...production I've ever been involved in.

✰✰✰

And episode 1 is done yay! I know it's slow at the moment, but I promise the next few chapters are much much better hehe