Fɪғᴛᴇᴇɴ:

✰✰✰

✰✰✰

𝘾𝙝𝙖𝙥𝙩𝙚𝙧 𝙁𝙞𝙛𝙩𝙚𝙚𝙣:
"Thanksgiving."

It's safe to say that this is the worst Thanksgiving dinner I've ever had to endure.

It wasn't full of the usual happy, elated chatter, or the satisfying feelings of having a full belly. I wasn't even enjoying mom's casserole. The table instead, was filled with awkward, uncomfortable silence. I had so much on my mind right now, yet no words to say out loud. I was angry, sad, hungry - I'd barely touched my food and poked it with my fork instead.

And most of all, I was disappointed.

Disappointed in myself because as much as I didn't want my dad here, part of me was really glad to see him. It's been four years, and I guess part of me didn't want to be angry with him anymore. But I forced that part of myself away for the time being and instead focused on being angry.

"Sammy," Mom said softly. I didn't look at her. "I know I should've told you he was coming...but I only found out last night, and I didn't want to spoil your day today. You've been so happy lately and I didn't want to take that away from you."

Well, it's gone now.

"Sammy please don't be mad at me." Mom begged.

I hated making her upset, but I was upset too and I didn't feel like talking right now. To either of my parents.

"Samantha, your mother is talking to you." My father said.

I scoffed and glared at him. "I'm not mad at her. I'm mad at you."

"I understand that, but-"

"I'm not ignoring mom, okay?" I cut him off abruptly. "I just don't feel like talking."

"Just leave it Henry. Sammy and I can talk later..." My mother interjected and I went back to staring at the - very cold - plate of food in front of me. 

He sighed. "I'm disappointed in you, Sammy."

I dropped my fork; it landed on my plate with a loud clatter and I looked at my father angrily. "You don't get to be disappointed in me, dad! Okay? You don't get to walk back into our house, and act like you never left!" I yelled.

Mom flinched, and Lou started to cry from all the noise. My dad simply stared at me, but I could see the hurt in his eyes.

"It's been four years! We've had to adjust to living without you, after you abandoned us - and for what? A new job? New perfect family? We weren't good enough for you so you packed your bags and left us!" I yelled, now out of my seat.

Lou was crying heavily now, so was my mom and I could feel the tears coming myself, but I forced them back.

"If anyone's got a right to be disappointed, it's us. Not you."