Chapter 23: "I will put you back together."

Tobias

My hands tightened around the steering wheel as we drove further away from that house. I intently watched my rearview mirror as the house got smaller and smaller. I shook my head angrily as I watched, thinking of everything she went through in the place she once called home.

The house was stunning to say the least, in a perfect neighbourhood with a perfect little white picket fence, and a garage to fit many cars, everything about the house was perfection. To the outside world, it was complete and utter perfection, everything you'd want from a home you would build with your significant other but not for the stunning woman sleeping in my passenger seat.

No, you see that ethereal beauty, with her luscious brown curly tendrils, full lips, alluring eyes, bodacious body, and a charming personality... She went through hell in that "perfect" house.

Anger began to fill my veins as I thought of everything he had put her through, the cheating, the lying, the manipulation, and even the things I had witnessed myself. He fucking hurt her and I was there, his forceful grip tattooed a war wound onto her perfectly unblemished skin. And every time I saw it I felt my body ablaze with anger knowing I could have stopped it. The purple was slowly fading from the wrist but the damage had been done and I still wanted to kill him for hurting her.

I could have stopped it if she only let me come downstairs and save her from him. Fuck, I could have saved her from all of this. I shouldn't have let her go to that house after what he did to her last night. I hated him for hurting her and I hated myself even more for letting her put herself through this. I should have fucking pushed harder.

My grip on the steering wheel was painfully clenched. Her face, her face when she ran to me, was something I wish I never had to see. Her beautiful features that were usually filled with joy, love, and light were now filled with fear, confusion, heartache, hurt and so much more. I didn't even know what happened but I knew something did. The look on her face was so pained and I couldn't do anything about it.

My heart rate was hammering out of my chest, I could hear the rapid beats ringing through my ears as my knuckles began to turn white. I went over everything that had happened in the last few weeks with her, the amazing, the good, the okay, the bad, and the ugly. We were in this perfect bliss until he came back into her life demanding things that he never deserved from her.

FUCK! He never deserved her in the first place. I slammed my unoccupied hand down on the steering wheel as I felt the angry tears begin to form in my eyes. I immediately pulled over needed to stop driving, I turned the engine off I sat back in my seat scrubbing my hand over my face before looking over to Monroe sleeping in the passenger seat. My Monroe.

I admired all of her features, her soft beautiful features that were molded by the gods themselves. She had this way about her that sirened any man to her, she was a stunning woman with everything going for her but she didn't even realise it because of him. He had twisted her mind to make her feel like she wasn't deserving of love, of being desired, of being someone's one and only. My one and only.

I felt my anger soften as I looked over her saddened face, she didn't have that peaceful look on her face she usually would when she slept next to me. Her face was now full of somber and pain and it hurt me to see her like this. All I wanted was to fix it but I just didn't know how, I didn't know how to make her feel whole again and that hurt more than anything.

I swiftly opened my door, closing it behind me after I stepped out. I watched her from the window as she sturred in her sleep, I got my phone out to search for a text that I desperately needed.

Thank you for taking care of her. Call me if you ever need anything.

I placed both hands on the side of the car as I tried to calm myself down, my anger was getting the better of me and this wasn't what Monroe needed, she needed me to be whole while she couldn't. However, right now I felt like half a man not being able to hold my woman together when she needed me to.