Chapter 33: Part 1

She sheepishly pulled a strand of hair behind her ear. "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to startle you and I promise I am not stalking you, I saw you in there." I could tell she wanted to say something but something was holding back.

As I watched her nervous expression, I started to notice the tired dark circles around her eyes. I noticed the vibrancy of her well kept red hair had faded to an aurburn and her usual style had changed. Every part of her skin was covered and that wasn't normal. Luxe was a beautiful and confident woman but right now she looked drained.

Before I had a chance to think about what I was saying, I quickly stated. "I know a quiet coffee place near here. Let me - let me buy you a coffee." She looked completely shocked by what I had just said. She gulped not knowing what to say. "Luxe it's just coffee, okay?"

"Okay." She anxiously nodded before we started walking side by side until we reached the coffee shop. Luxe went and found a table towards the back and I ordered our drinks. I held the two hot drinks in either hand and walked towards Luxe, who I could see was having trouble with this.

I placed the drinks down on the table, she virtually flinched at the sudden sound of the table. I couldn't help but feel concerned for her, my instincts were ringing off every red light in my mind.

Flinching. Covered body. Paranoia. The exhaustion in her eyes. And the biggest indication, the light was no longer in her eyes.

She almost looked like me.

I was saddened at the assumptions my mind was making and I begged and pleaded that she wasn't experiencing what I thought she was. But everything was pointing to it. Was Chase hurting her too? Had he physically hurt her so badly that she couldn't show her body? Was he abusing her?

"Monroe, you - you didn't have to. Thank you." I shook off the thoughts and the darkened place my mind was going as I looked at the defeated woman in front of me. Her hands were trembling around the coffee cup and she hadn't touched a drop, I knew she just needed something to hold onto.

I couldn't understand my own feelings towards this woman. Yes, in theory she had done me wrong in the past, but that wasn't her fault. She didn't owe me anything but Chase did, Chase said his vows to me and even after everything I went back. He didn't even deserve me back then, so why wouldn't Luxe deserve forgiveness and kindness?

I reached my hand out to hers, he eyes were trained onto her cup as she tried to think clearly. Her eyes peered up at mine when she felt my hand on hers. I gave her a small smile as I gave her hand a squeeze. "Look Luxe, I know we haven't had the prettiest past and I can tell that you're holding things back but just so you know. You can talk to me. I told you already that I forgive you."

I could tell she was battling with herself whether she should open up or not and I know exactly who placed that inner battle within her. She glimpsed in every direction, I knew she was paranoid and I knew she was looking out for Chase. I could see the fear in her eyes clear as day and it hurt me to my core. He's hurt my wrist but I couldn't even imagine what bruises were left underneath her clothes.

She breathed a deep sigh before taking a sip of her coffee. "Monroe, it's Chase. He's - he's different now since you filed for divorce. He's angry all the time." I could tell she wasn't blaming me just stating her truth as I watched the tears well up in her eyes. "Luxe does he -"

Her head whipped to look outside of the window, her finger discreetly pulling down the neck of her turtle neck unveiling a very visible purple mark peeking out. I gasped pulling my hands to my mouth. I shook my head feeling an overwhelming sense of heartache for this woman.

"This was the day he found out that I kept your visit a secret. I'm only telling you this because I needed you to know what he's capable of. He wants you Monroe and he won't stop til he gets you." I look outside the window in the same fashion that she did, I used my unattended hand to raise up my sleeve. Her body completely slumped in the chair. "He told me he wouldn't go anywhere near you. I thought I could buy you enough time."