2 |

🖤 VOTE VOTE VOTE!!! AND PLEASE FOLLOW ME FOR MORE UPDATES 🖤

Just like the ceiling of my apartment, there is a lack of clouds in the sky the next morning. I sigh as I look up from my crumpled map. I try smoothing it against my pants.

God, it sure is hot here.

I instantly regretted wearing jeans. My anxiety mixed with the humid air makes sweat pool in the small of my back. There are supposed to be campus tours today but ironically, I couldn't find the meeting place.

The campus spread out like a tiny city. An apartment-style building lies to my left and some sort of pub to my right. I debate going in and asking someone for help, but I don't want to embarrass myself before classes even start. I glance down at my map again and try to make sense of the intertwined roads. I determine that continuing to walk forward is probably my best option. The time on my phone indicates that I am going to miss the last tour, and I groan lowly.

I guess this walk will be self-guided.

The odd person passes me as I trek forward. The campus is quiet due to the fact that classes don't start until tomorrow. I notice a pattern of beautiful faces that makes me lower my head, trying to conceal myself. Instant regret strikes through me as I crash into an unseen body.

"Shit!" I mutter under my breath as I am launched backward by the force of hitting someone. I'm on the ground for less than a second before a hand pulls me up.

"I am so sorry," I exclaim as I brush myself off. I bring my head up and take a step back. It's the cute guy from the convenience store. His name has been washed out of my brain and I just kind of let my mouth hang open.

"Would you like to join the tour, Addy?" My face drops as I see the group of people standing behind him. "You definitely could use the direction..." he smirks.

I nod as I quickly let myself fade to the back of the group. Faces stare at me and I really don't think it's because I fell. Clearly, I'm the outsider here. The sea of faces blends into one — everyone having all had different hair and eye colours, yet share the same sharp features and athletic builds. Darting my eyes around, my slightly fuller shape and rosy cheeks leave me feeling worse than before. I mean, don't get me wrong... I'm not in the worst shape. Although it looks like these people have nothing better to do than workout all day everyday.

While I sulk at the back of the group, I suddenly remember his name; Isaac. I snap my head up as his voice fills my ears. He was talking about the library.

"Get used to seeing this building. Seriously, this is where most first-years spend all of their time."

The old structure sits on top of a hill and people in the group turn to look at the building that will practically be a second home for the next eight months.

The rest of the tour involves Isaac talking about the history of the university. I tune most of it out as I take in the buildings; trying to figure out where all my classes will be held. He catches my attention when he announces, "This is the last stop everyone, where we will be ending our tour. Behind us is the observatory. It is affectionately known as 'the zoo' by students here because of rumours that the university used to lock creatures up in the basement for experiments." Rolling his eyes at his previous statement, Isaac continues. "It's now used mostly as a hook-up spot." A chuckle runs through the group and a guy in front of me turns to the girl beside him and says, "I went in there yesterday and there isn't even a basement."

~

Everyone starts to disperse, and I take my phone out of my pocket to check when the next bus is coming. Isaac approaches me when there are only a few people left in the crowd.

"It was nice seeing you again Addy, I hope we get to see each other again soon." He flashes me a dazzling smile before his eyes catch on my neck. His smile falters only for a moment before it returns equally as bright as before. I convince myself I somehow imagined it.

"Nice necklace," he says before quickly stalking away. I instantly frown at the quick departure and whisper a mere "Thank you," under my breath while unconsciously touching the stone meekly pressed against my skin.

The bus stop is only a couple hundred yards away and I make my way over to where some of the other people are waiting. I almost fall asleep on the bus, and it almost lulled me to sleep with the soft vibrations against the window, before making it back to my apartment. I'm tired, and honestly still embarrassed when I think about the events earlier in the day. Once in the safety of my apartment, I go to take off my pants home and notice the scrapes on my knees. I am such a klutz. I sign and rub the dried blood away with my hands, changing into shorts to let the cuts breath.

~

My laptop is humming away on the table as I snack on some French fries. I shove them into my mouth hurriedly, burning my mouth, but I'm so hungry I don't even care at this point. Grabbing my laptop, I pull up my weekly schedule and try to decide what class I should take to fill the last spot on my course list. I run quickly through a page of options.

Why do these all seem like the strangest courses ever?

This list has everything from Wiccan Studies to Human Sexuality and even the study of Creatures in Folklore. Can you even get a degree in that? I wonder as I shake my head and scroll to the bottom of the page. There's only one way to decide. I scroll back up to the top of the page and close my eyes. I press on the down key and randomly stop somewhere on the page. Peeling my eyes open, I notice the course in the middle of the page is Ancient History. I add it to my schedule without a second thought because my brain was starting to hurt from reading all of those course descriptions.

I sit on the couch when I hear the knock at my door. I jump as the loud sound echoes through the room. I pad across the floor and stand on my tippy toes to see into the small peephole. A girl stands there and she looks about my age. I open the door but use it to kind of shield myself. She smiles and shoots out her arm.

"Hi, I'm your neighbour Lenna!"

I feel my body relax and I open the door more, to seem more inviting. I shake her hand and gesture her to step inside.

"I'm Addy, it's really nice to meet you," I say with a casual small which matches her own. I can see Lenna examining my apartment as she walks inside. I continue our introductory conversation by asking if she goes to Myerdale University as well.

"Yeah of course! And are you going to the party tonight?" She asks so naturally, as if everyone knows about the party. I shake my head at her.

"I didn't even know there was one..."

Lenna's mouth hangs open for a second before she smiles with an almost wicked grin. I can see the excitement in her eyes.

"This is the first party of the year, and it might be the biggest. All of the first years are invited!" She says. With a slightly grim expressions, I shake my head.

"I'm not sure about this... I mean, classes start tomorrow. Why would anyone wanna be hungover for the first day?"

"The first day of classes are all syllabus review anyway," Lenna explains with a shrug. "If you want, we can go together and look out for each other."
I shake my head again immediately.

"I don't think that's a very good—''

Suddenly, I'm cut off by Lenna grabbing my hand and pulling me to her apartment that is directly across the hall.

"Don't worry, this is going to be so much fun!" She says with a wink and a wicked grin.

Oh boy.