32 |

🖤 Hey guys, I hope you are all doing well and staying safe during this crazy time! Please remember to vote and follow. 🖤

Imagine that you are a balloon —the only thing that holds you to the ground is a thin piece of string.

Now imagine that string is cut and you are just floating.

That is how I felt; light, unable to connect to the world, and unable to open my eyes. I could feel my heartbeat quicken at the realization. I could hear a rapid beeping, and I could hear my own exhalations. I had to put effort into every breath, focusing on my lungs expanding and constricting.

~
(Earlier that day...)

My hands gripped into my hair, perched on the edge of my couch, hand hanging between my knees. Angry tears rolled down my face and I was consumed by silence. Lenna had tried to come by earlier but her desperate knocks quickly faded at my lack of response.

I just needed to sleep, my brain was working on overdrive. I was mad at myself, at Klayton, at Destiny, at Artemis... it was too much for one person to handle. I went into my bathroom, grabbing a bottle of NyQuil. I took a long sip and began to drift off minutes later.

I thought I had finally found some peace in the madness, but I was greeted by my biggest source of grief.

Artemis appeared like always.

A bow slung over her back, her white hair somehow flowing despite the lack of wind. This time she had a permanent scowl on her face. I immediately tried to make myself taller —I wanted her to know that I wasn't scared of her, and that if anyone should be afraid it should be her.

"I don't know what you think you are doing Adira, but it is going to be you who won't last through this process." She sighed, as if she was exasperated with me. It was like she had this conversation before.

She has, the thought rang through my head. The reminder made me narrow my eyes. I decided to tease her a little — I mean, it was my dream anyway.

"What do you mean?" I said in a higher pitch mocking tone. I put my palms to my chest as if I was shocked by the allegations. Artemis stepped forward in a threatening manner, but stopped and looked closer at me, more specifically my eyes.

Anger flashed through her eyes, I could almost see the darkness pass through them.

"Don't play stupid you pathetic human bitch, I came here to warn you. Stop this stupid little mission before it kills you—"

"No. The only person that is going to die is you!" I shout towards her with equal passion.

At my words, a burst of laughter fills the air surrounding us. Except it wasn't light and happy laughter, but more of a cackle. The weight of noise consumed the air, making it hang heavily around my head.

Artemis began to walk around me in almost a taunting manner but my new found speed allowed me to turn just as fast; so we never broke eye contact. I didn't dare speak and break the silence.

I wanted her to explain what was so damn funny.

"Destiny always leaves out the most important parts. She wants me dead so badly that she is willing to put anyone's life on the line. Do you see how you are changing with every piece of me you manage to harness? Growing stronger and faster? But you are also getting impulsive, you are consumed by hate. It is because you're weak. Because you're human."

The words were spat out of her mouth as if they burned her tongue. At this point, we had both come to a standstill and were staring each other down venomously. She continues.