14 |

Klayton allows my assault— for about five seconds only.

He gently pushes me away from him and my back is pressed up against a tree. His eyes are almost pitch black as he gazes up and down the length of my body. He presses his now slightly swollen lips into a tight line.

"You have no idea how hard this is for me," he breathes. "I want you so badly."

"Then why are you stopping?" I whisper into his ear. His eyes shut tightly and he braces himself against the tree before pushing off of it and turning around, looking anywhere but at me.

Klayton runs his hand through his hair and starts to pace. The pain is evident on his face. He must have really good self-control. Because at that moment all I could think about was him on top of me. I could even feel my body heat up under the imaginary pressure. The sensation started at my core until it reached my fingertips.

His hesitance suddenly made me hyperaware of my own body and I instantly felt shame; maybe he didn't want me.

Was I being too desperate?

My cheeks burned with embarrassment and I lowered my head. I unconsciously start to pout, my bottom lip sticking out.

Suddenly my back hit into the tree that Klayton had been grasping onto.

His body was flush against mine, and it only made the heat intensify between us. I thought he was going to kiss me, but instead, his hand reached for my mouth. He traced my bottom lip with his thumb. I still wasn't used to the unparalleled feeling of pleasure it brought me just to feel his skin on mine, and I leaned into him.

"Adira, you really shouldn't do that," he said with a sigh. His dead dipped forward and his forehead touched mine.

"Then make me stop," I whispered back.

And he did. He kissed me. But it wasn't the same as before. It was gentle; there was no rough urgency behind it this time.

Even with that light touch, I felt like I could feel every part of his lips on mine. I closed my eyes and tried to take in as much as I could; etching it into my mind. He grabbed my hand and my eyes fluttered open.

We started walking back the way we came.

"This has been too much for one night. I didn't want to tell you like this," he sighed. "Under pressure."

He continued to guide me back and his words hit hard.

How long was I supposed to wait?

When had he been planning to tell me?

My eyebrows scrunched up at the thought. I was paying little attention to him leading me back, but I was constantly aware of his hand. His rough palm fit perfectly in my hand— like it was meant to be there.

"I would have soon— it was nearly impossible for me to keep it from you this long," Klayton spoke as if he knew what I was thinking. Confusion struck through me.

Was that even possible?

"I can feel what you're feeling sometimes," he peered at me through his lashes. "Only when you are experiencing heightened emotions... It's part of the bond."

He looked at me anxiously, as if he was waiting for me to freak out or to have another meltdown. Instead, I let silence fill the air as I searched my brain for thoughts, and attempted to feel his emotions through the bond.

I came up empty-handed and with a little bit of a headache.

"Why can't I feel your emotions?" I ask him and stop walking as we were outside my apartment building now. I turn towards him and look up into his eyes, subconsciously still searching for any emotion to emit from him.