42 |

I don't think I was supposed to find out about this.

I lay in the position of a ball in Lenna's apartment, right where Embry had left me. My legs are pressed right up to my chest and I feel empty inside. Due to his sudden vanishing, his magic no longer had the powerful hold it did on me just moments before.

Now I was alone, trapped —not by his magic, but my own running thoughts.

Although I wasn't sure if what I was thinking was correct —the fact that Embry and Destiny both have freshly painted, immaculate black nails made shivers crawl up my spine.

It had to be a coincidence, right? The thought brings forward a headache; my head pounding. But I also wasn't sure if it was due to the fact that Embry had magically subdued me just now and then fled from me. However, he was a warlock —a magical being, so in some way, he could easily be related to Destiny and Artemis. I have known from just meeting him and word of mouth that he was a powerful entity, much like other Goddesses.

Is Embry their brother?

~

"Get up."

My head snaps toward the voice that comes from behind me. Unsurprisingly, it is Destiny who has shown up. I was back at Klayton's house; I didn't know how long it would be for me to go back to my own apartment. It was hard enough going to Lenna's, which was almost identical to mine in every way, however, going back to the place my best friend was killed was not on my to-do-list anytime soon.

"I thought you were Klayton," I whisper from the bed. "And, no thanks. I quite like where I am,"

I'm snuggled up underneath his dark blankets, bundled up to the point where everything feels heavy. As we make eye contact, I pull my own gaze away from hers. I wanted to discuss a lot of things —including the fact that Embry was probably her brother, and she conveniently left that part of her story out.

"I understand that you have just lost some of your closest friends. You know I have been through grief as well," she says sternly and walks over to where I am laying. "Or did you just forget about the pain I endured from Artemis killing my sister?"

"Our pain isn't a competition," I snap as she pulls the covers off me abruptly.

"Of course it isn't, Adira." She sighs and sits down beside me on the bed. "But I don't want you to forget that we have all lost loved ones, and you aren't the only one who has felt this burden. Have you even checked up on Klayton? Normally I have to hide from his sight, and he is nowhere to be found,"

I sit up from the bed, stretching out my legs that were in my fuzzy pajama pants. A yawn escapes my mouth involuntarily, and I wasn't sure if it was because I was tired or from waking myself fully up.

"Klayton and I have an understanding. We don't want to talk about our combined pain, we want to dwell in it and let the emotions fester into something far more lethal," I hiss.

"I just want to make sure we are all on the same page. You need to become the rightful Goddess, and you are the only one who will be able to do this," Destiny says and tucks a piece of her short hair behind her ear. My eyes catch a glimpse of her black nail polish once more from her movements. "Besides that," she continues. "I truly consider you —not only an ally Adira— but an honest friend. You have a pure soul, and both you and your mate deserve to enjoy one another in the most full and happiest ways possible. I hope you can get through these rough times together."

Her words warmed my heart, and I felt similar feelings of closeness towards her as well. I needed to hear those words, and I wanted to additionally comfort her the way she has for me... however, once I opened my mouth to speak all I could think about were those damn black nails.