10 |

We silently stared at each other. Minutes went by. Eyes both narrowed toward one another, we waited for the other to break the silence.

I looked at the small book that was now back in his hands. I wanted to rip it out of his grasp; it was still part of the mystery I wanted to solve.

I needed to keep it for a little while longer. I decided to speak first.

"What do you mean? I checked it out at the library, with the other book." I try to speak as innocently as possible and even feign confusion.

I never was a good actor.

He looks me dead in the eye. "I am going to ask you one more time. Where did you get this book?"

He holds up the book above my head, almost in a taunting fashion. His eyes smolder and it makes me think about kissing him again. I squeeze my thighs together at the thought, but then shake my head. I need to get rid of these thoughts.

I see him look down at the involuntary action. At that moment and only for a sharp second, he seems to lose his cool.

"I guess if I am being honest," I sigh. "I kind of took it from the library..." I cringe, waiting for his reaction.

He looks angry.

"Stop lying to me!"

I take a step back from him. Did he just growl at me? I am shocked at the outburst.

I don't know what to say, as I had told him the truth. We make eye contact and I could have stayed there forever, looking into the deep dark depths that are his eyes. He looks haunted. And almost looked like he was searching for something.

Klayton takes a tentative step forward. "You are telling the truth,"

I exhale a breath I didn't realize I was holding in. I'm relieved to know that he actually believes me, or this situation could have gone worse.

I mean, the predicament we were in 10 minutes ago compared to now was very drastic.

He grabs my arm and pulls me closer, closing the gap between us. I stifle a small gasp.

He looms over me, leaning down to whisper in my ear. "Do you know what this is?" He asks, his breath lightly fanning the side of my face. If I turned my face right now, our lips would meet.

I'm unsure of how to respond. He starts to play with my blonde curls as I open my mouth to say something.

"It looks like a bunch of drawings, of you ... but I know that's crazy," A dry laugh is compelled out of me.

He just sighs, and drops my arm as if he wanted me to elaborate. As if my answer wasn't what he was truly hoping for.

He skims through the pages and looks pained. His face holds a small grimace, although I can tell he's trying to hide it.

"More like my design."

He said the words so softly I thought I had imagined hearing them.

I'm not sure how to respond to such a weird statement. It literally made no sense, although I decide not to press further on the issue. He must be joking or something...

I decide to ask about the book.

"Come on, don't fool around. Why is it such a big deal that I have this book?"

Klayton doesn't hesitate in his response.

"It doesn't belong in this library, and most definitely does not belong with you."