10 • drop the beat

Donghyuck didn't think he'd heard a more beautiful sound since he met Mark.

The group was currently practicing 'I Can't Stand the Rain', Donghyuck's favourite track in the album. Witnessing it firsthand, up close was even better.

Hearing Mark's voice itself up close was unbelievable. The boy knew his rapping skills were off-charts, but to see it in the making was a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.

The way that the lyrics rolled effortlessly off the boys tongue was enough to make one's head turn- those lyrics pronounced beautifully as if one could hear every individual syllable (which Donghyuck is sure anybody could) he spoke with ease. His technique baffled the younger which was a reason his eyes could not be torn from the young man.

With the last beat finished, Donghyuck broke into a massive smile and clapped his hands relentlessly. 

"That was amazing!" He praised, but he couldn't find himself to look away from the canadian, causing a blush to rise on the latter's cheeks. "Thank you, Donghyuck," he smiled, eyes never losing contact.

"No problem, Mark," he replied softly, a small sparkle in his eyes.

"I'm back!" a small voice called, following with a loud thud.

Donghyuck turned his head to see nothing, though quickly looked down to see his best friend face-first on the floor as the group let out small laughs behind him.

Grumbling, Renjun stood up, brushing himself free from any dust and pouted to find the members attempting to stifle their laughs.

"Excuse me!" he whined, his cheeks turning pink. Donghyuck just facepalmed at his excuse of a best friend and apologised to the older members on his behalf.

Taemin grinned yet continued professionally.

"So who's your bias, Donghyuck?"  he asked, wiggling his eyebrows.

Lucas rolled his eyes. "Me, obviously."

Donghyuck blushed and slowly shook his head, "Actually, Mark is," he began, a smile creeping into his face.

Mark, from across the room, already was aware of this, although it didn't make the red on his cheeks disappear, in fact they flushed a darker shade in contrary.

A chorus of 'ooohs' and 'ooh la la's' echoes around the room as the group turned to Mark. Donghyuck mirrored the expression as his eyes locked with the boy and he couldn't help but smile.

He didn't know why, but just seeing Donghyuck smile caused his lips to turn up too at the small reassurance. "Thanks," he smiled fully now, heart palpitating fasted in his chest as the boy's eyes opposite him disappeared into gleaming crescents.

"So, no manners?" Taeyong queried, sensing the mood lightening. Mark coughed, breaking eye contact and nodded, eyes darting aimlessly.

Once again, the boys disappeared behind the glass screen.

Renjun was currently talking about some random event that occurred recently, and for some strange reason, everyone was interested.

Apart from two individuals.

"So how are you?" Mark murmured, looking at the silver-haired boy as they slowly distances themselves from the group.

Donghyuck grins. "I'm great! How about you?" He exclaims, although quietens down after Renjun's menacing stare as he continued his story.

"Do you want to go somewhere with me one day?" Mark blurted out.

His eyes widened, realising what had slipped out and clamped his hands over his mouth.

"I mean- No- Yes? I don't-"

"Really?"

The rapper looked up straight at Donghyuck.

His eyes were sparkling, hair dusting over his forehead with his beautiful lips outstretched in a wide smile and hands clasped together.

Seeing that face, who could refuse? Not Mark, for sure.

He took a deep breath and smiled with equal positivity.

"Yes, please come out with me some day, I'd love to get to know you, Donghyuck."

The younger squealed.

•••••••

It was currently 10pm and Jungwoo was stood outside the door of an apartment.

"The door's open!" a muffled voice called from inside. He smiled hearing it as he missed the beautiful voice since yesterday. Pushing the door open, Jungwoo stepped in and closed it behind him, three bags in his hands.

"You know, you shouldn't really leave the door open at night."

Jungwoo watched as the boy sat on the couch jumped up, a flushed face as the blankets hopped with him.

"Jungwoo!" he called, blushing as he realised his state. The older saw the pyjamas he was dressed in and giggled.

"Those pyjamas look great on you, Donghyuck." he grinned, stretching his arms out to pass the bags.

"Thank you," the latter smiled back, reaching for the bags but only to stop halfway.

"You must be hungry!" He realised abruptly. "It's 10pm have you even eaten?" he gasped.

Jungwoo rubbed his nape absentmindedly and shook his head, guilty.

"Well come eat with me then," he pouted, pulling on the elders arm and tugging him to the sofa as they both fell in a heap of blankets and pillows.

Happy laughs echoed around the apartment when they looked at each other, a mess.

"Thank you food bringing the food, by the way," Donghyuck remembered, scrunching his nose up as the smell of pizza and packet ramen filled his nostrils.

"Thank you for calling me in!" Jungwoo retorted, rolling his eyes at the younger's shyness, contrasted to how he was a few moments ago.

"I was lonely anyways, Renjun left to hang with his boyfriend and just ditched me, honestly." The younger continued, grimacing at the memory of earlier on in the day about how Renjun had told him that they would be doing some 'donghyuck-not-rated' things.

After that, Donghyuck kicked him out of the apartment with a few bags of clothes. It was safe to say he wouldn't be coming back into the shared flat until he was 'purified' again. 

"That's good," the cute fluffy-haired boy replied, laughing at the facial expressions of the latter.

"How is that good?" Donghyuck asked in disbelief.

"If he hadn't left, you wouldn't have invited me," Jungwoo pouted, his hair flopping over to the side and the silver-haired boy couldn't help the warm, fuzzy feeling blooming in his chest. It was like everything this boy did made his heart flutter.

"Let's eat!"