36.) Who Waits Forever Anyway

...

............ PART II.............

.......

.......

He walks into my line of vision. A bit more hunched over than I remember, making him seem small and feeble in appearance. A sure long way from the man I'd always seen as indestructible and strong in any and all situations.

His snowy white hair, glistens in the little bit of sunlight that leaks its rays through the clouds of this dreary day. I haven't seen him in the last few years that I've been at university, yet I suddenly feel at home when his arms wrap around me.

"Richie, it's so good to see you," I can hear the strain in his voice as he speaks.

When we pull away, I take him in. His hair is much more sparse now that the years have taken its toll on him. The wrinkles around his eyes show how many happy times he's had in his life; the contrasting forehead wrinkles show the times of distraught and worry. He used to seem so big, so tall. He was always a huge part of my life, my god father, John Deacon.

"Good to see you too, Nino..," Biting the side of my lip in nervous anticipation, I take a deep breath before continuing. "Thanks for meeting me today, I- uh, I've really wanted to talk with you..,"

He nods his head slowly, peering at me suspiciously from the side of his eye as we walk on. I know that look— that's the look he gives when he's nervous about something himself. Maybe he knows why I'm here.

We have a seat on a bench in his garden, this is the yard I've the most memories in. The times of rumbling around with the my cousins and siblings don't seem too far back in the past. But, we've all grown up and grown apart more than I would have liked— but that's life, isn't it? That's just how it goes.

"So? What's on your mind, son? Lay it on me..," he chuckles as he rubs my back with one gentle giant hand, swinging his arm around my shoulders as we sit side by side.

Maybe I should scoot away a bit, hmm?

"Uh-hmm," I start to stutter- a clear nervous tick of mine as my hands fiddle with the loose button of my leather jacket. "You know, I'll be graduating soon and-,"

"Yes, I know. We're all so proud of you! Really we are," He gives that big grin I like. The one that always made me feel loved. His eyes disappear behind his raised cheeks and his small tooth gap clearly visible.

I nod my head, smiling politely back, but trying to remain focused.

"Thank you," I acknowledge his words. "Well, I ...what I really came here to say is..,"

Let's just say, his reaction is not what I expected.
At all.

"On Christmas? Really, even after—,"

"I want to make this holiday back into one filled with love and happiness.," I tap his shoulder as I watch his eyes glaze over right in front of me, I know I've triggered the memories of that horrible day. "Look, I really, well we both really want to do this," I finished saying, but as soon as his head shakes a little from side to side and his smirking smile shines on his face, he agrees.

"Eeee—yes.," he nods rubbing my arm. "Christmas will be wonderful...."

———————————-

Picking my phone out of my pocket, I glance at the caller I.D. before pressing the ignore button again. That's twice she's called now and I really don't have anything to say to her after the last time she ditched me. Some twin.