we're such big stupid heads

C H A P T E R T W E N T Y - S E V E N

When did I end up on the floor? Miles blinked, groaning as a sudden pain shot up his back. Grunting, Miles rolled over onto his stomach when pain shot through there also. He curled up into a ball, his eyes shutting tightly as he tried to concentrate on relaxing his body that was clenched in pain. James has tackled him to the floor and knocked the breath right out of him.

He heard Carter scream before a heavyweight was pulled off of him and another loud voice was shouting over Carter's. "What the fuck do you think you're doing, huh? Go put on clothes, for fuck sake."

Carter was clutching tightly onto her towel, her eyes wide and blurry from tears as she glanced from between both her uncles before looking down at her boyfriend who was still groaning on the floor. Not wanting to make the situation worse, Carter picked up one of Miles's hoodies and the shorts she had worn before her shower and ran to the bathroom. She couldn't stop her hands from shaking as her heart beat crazy with panic.

She was scared of what this would mean for her and Miles.

She was sure her family knew they were going to end up together but they'd been caught, in a situation that could become messy. Things were going to change. No more sleepovers. No more being alone in rooms together. They were going to be watched. Especially by Nolan.

Carter drew in a shaking breath, before she stood up, and walked out of the bathroom to see Landon in the room. His eyes were wide as he pulled Miles up into a sitting position. "Come on." Maggie stood at the door, watching the scene with a nervous frown.

James was pacing the room and Carter could see, the more he walked, the angrier he got. "Jami." Carter mumbled, using her old nickname for him.

James's head snapped up at her voice and he laughed, without humor. He shook his head, raising a finger to point at his niece, "No, you don't get to do that. What—when—" James scoffed, bending down and playing his hands against his knees as if he was trying to catch a breath.

"I think I'm going to be sick." James looked up at Carter, "Does Nolan know?"

Carter slowly shook her head, horrified as she watched James stand up, looking for his phone, "No wonder he let you sleepover. I need to talk to him—"

"No!" Miles and Carter shouted at the same time, both jumping forward to stop James.

"The fuck you mean no. Nolan needs to sort this shit out."

Miles shook his head, "Please, don't. We—we want to tell him. We've just been scared and haven't found the right time."

Carter nodded, her eyes on her boyfriend as she scanned him up and down. She was relieved he wasn't in pain. "Daddy is very overprotective of me and we know he isn't going to like this. Just please, can we tell him. I'll even come to stay by you till Daddy comes back."

James breathed heavily, glancing between the two teenagers before sighing, "I don't like this, I don't fucking like this."

Noah quickly jumped forward, trying to control his own anger at finding his niece in this position. "Babe, she promised to tell Nolan and she's going to be staying with us until he returns. We'll make sure she tells him before she and Miles spend anymore alone time together." Noah sent his niece a sharp look before glancing back up at his husband who slowly nodded his head. He looked up at the couple and awkwardly held his hands up to point towards both of them.