daddy, it's rude to stare

C H A P T E R  T H I R T Y

Miles couldn't help the frustrated frown that creased his lips and eyebrows as he stared down at the notepad covered in untidy scribbles. He stared at it for another few more seconds before laying back on his chair, craning his neck to look up at his father, who had been hovering behind him, staring at the notepad as well.

"What you guys think?"

Landon shrugged, looking over his shoulder towards Nolan who was trying to blow glitter off the tip of his nose. Landon sent his friend an annoyed look before reaching and slapping Nolan against his nose, "He's fucking talking to you."

Nolan jumped up at the slap, sneering towards Landon who rolled his eyes at him. The blonde bent down near the desk, peering down at the notepad, "Just ask her? Really? That's fucking boring. Where's the cheesy pun? Flowers? Cake? A flyer that has huge writing on? Think out the fucking box."

Miles groaned, his face slamming against his desk in frustration. Their senior prom was coming up soon and Miles still hadn't found the perfect way to ask Carter to the dance. He knew she was going with him, since they were dating and all but he knew she still wanted him to make a huge gesture. And he couldn't not go all out, Carter had been watching prom videos for weeks, awwing and cooing at her screen. She was obviously giving him hints.

Carter might say she didn't like being in the spotlight, but she loved it. And most importantly, she loved to brag about how much Miles loved her. It gave him butterflies. She was so proud that he loved her. She would probably print out an award for herself if she wanted too.

"You know what you should do, I saw it on this one video on Instagram. This guy had a student give the girl roses as they lead her toward where he was going to propose to her." Landon muttered, turning to Nolan who tapped his shoulder excitedly, "That's fucking gold."

Miles smirked, "Alright, I'll do that but I want to change it a bit."

"Mmm, originality," Nolan said, looking down at Miles with a proud look that had him rolling his eyes.

Miles tapped his father and Nolan on the arm, standing up from his seat, "Ok, you need to leave. I have shit to do."

<< o >>

Carter couldn't help the loud giggle of excitement that left her mouth as she looked up at Miles. "Morning, baby." He muttered, smiling down at her with tired eyes. He'd come to pick her up for school and had been up all night planning his prom-posal.

Carter skipped up to her boyfriend, the smile never leaving her face. Once she reached him, she jumped onto her tippy toes and wrapped her arms around his neck. She gave him a quick peck on the lips when she heard Nolan grumbling in the kitchen before pulling him into a tight hug that required him to lean down. His arms wrapped around her waist, pulling her tightly against his chest.

She smelt like the fruity shampoo she always used and vanilla, he smiled goofily at the smell before he pulled away at the loud sound of a clearing throat. Turning towards the entrance of the hallway, Carter found her father glaring at them as he leaned against the wall, frowning as he watched the two of them.

"Daddy, it's rude to stare."

Nolan rolled his eyes, "Smartass." His daughter giggled, before she pulled away from Miles but kept her hand in his. She led him towards the kitchen where Nolan turned around, slapping Miles on the back as if to scare him. He jolted awake at the hit before turning to shove Nolan against the shoulder, following after Carter who excitedly led him over to a bowl of oats that was accompanied with berries and cut up banana.