i hope everything gets better too

C H A P T E R  T H I R T Y - S I X

Nolan's eyes widened, almost popping out of his head as he listened to his daughter. He was still shocked, even though he'd kind of suspected. Carter had been over here whenever they'd video called or shared phone calls over the past week.

"How long?"

Carter spared Miles, who was looking towards Nolan, trying to detect Nolan's emotions, a glance. He spoke up before Carter could, "About a month."

She flushed, looking down at her lap guilty.

Nolan's jaw dropped, eyes widening, "A month?!"

Carter sat up, trying to defend herself even though she was still in the wrong, "To be fair, I only officially moved in a week ago. It took almost three weeks to actually move. I had to inform my landlord, and I stayed until the end of my last month while I moved my things over to Miles's place."

Nolan frowned, eyeing the two with a worrisome look, "This is a very big step, are you sure you're ready? You're both only nineteen—"

Carter smiled, reaching over the table to take ahold of Nolan's hand. "Daddy, we're ready. We have been for a while." She looked over her shoulder towards Miles who had a soft smile across his face, nodding slowly, as he agreed with Carter. "I know I'm young but I know this is what I want. It's not going to change a week from now or ten years from now."

Nolan nodded his head, with a heavy sigh, "I know, just can't believe you're moving in together. Do Maggie and Landon know?"

Miles laughed awkwardly, looking over at Carter who stared at her father as if she had killed someone. He smiled slightly guilty, "The landlord had informed my mother a week ago. She called about payment and he'd told her that Carter was moving in and that we'd be paying for the rent."

Nolan frowned, looking over towards Carter who sighed, "To be fair, daddy was in Spain and I didn't want to tell you over the phone."

Nolan sighed, knowing he'd prefer to be told in person. He smiled after a few seconds, beaming at the couple, "So, you're officially a moved in couple. At least I ain't paying for rent anymore."

Cater chuckling, shaking her head with an eye roll, "Funny, you insisted I get an apartment."

Nolan smirked, standing up from the table to walk over to the couple. Miles's eyes widened, standing up slowly when Nolan pulled him into a hug. "Good luck, she's a neat freak."

Miles snorted, shaking his head, "I think I'll manage."

Nolan rose an eyebrow but didn't say anything as his cell had interrupted him. He pulled the phone from his pocket before signing, "It's Anthony. Sorry, princess, I gotta meet up with him now." Carter nodded, knowing how important it was to meet with his manager. He kissed her on her cheek before muttering his goodbye as he left for the elevator. "I'll come over later with Lucas."

His daughter nodded, following after Nolan. He wrapped an arm around her shoulder, kissing the side of her head. "I'm going to miss you, princess. Who's going to make me coffee in the morning?"

She giggled, shaking her head, "I've been gone for a while, living in my old apartment."

"You still visited for your breaks."

"And I'll visit even then too, Daddy can even come over now."

Nolan nodded, with a smirk, "True."

Carter looked up at her father, a sneaky look in her eyes as she eyed her father, "Maybe now that's you're alone, you'll get yourself a girlfriend."