my fucking dyslexic-ness fucked it up

C H A P T E R T H I R T Y - O N E

Homecoming was coming up soon and Carter still had no idea what she wanted for her dress. She'd told Amber what she wanted but then she had told Alex something completely different and she couldn't decide which she liked better. Carter had gotten an offer from a stylist to wear his dress to prom for publicity. She had also planned to make a dress in Miles's favorite color, yellow. After seeing Abbie cringe at the color, she was quick to change her mind.

Abbie had suggested something fairy-like because she hadn't seen many people wearing something like that and Carter had been intrigued by the idea. She was going to ask Miles later what he thought about it.

"Why you gotta ask Miles?" Josh asked, frowning confused as he sat next to Carter at the kitchen table as they ate supper. She'd decided to pay her aunt and cousin a visit since Nolan was going out to the club for a drink with a few friends, which Carter knew was code for hooking up with someone. She shuddered in disgust.

Carter turned to her cousin who was looking up at her with confused eyes, half of his face covered in spaghetti sauce. Abbie rolled her eyes as she saw his face, her child was twelve and still couldn't eat his food probably. Staring over at her husband who had sauce on his nose, she understood where her son got it from.

"I have to ask Miles. I want him to like my dress, and it has to match his tie."

Josh nodded, before turning back to his plate of food. Carter smiled at him before looking towards Porter, who spoke up, "I think that white dress that designer made for you is pretty."

Carter smiled widely, nodding her head, "It's not very prom-like but I love it. It looks great on me too." Carter beamed, turning to Abbie who nodded, agreeing with her.

"You should wear it with a high ponytail, your hair will look amazing. And light makeup, nothing too flashy and—" Abbie had almost risen in her seat as excitement overtook her and Porter had to tap her thigh in warning to calm her down.

"Calm down, babe."

Abbie flushed, giggling in embarrassment, "Sorry, I'm just so excited."

Carter giggled, shaking her head before she went back to eating at her food. Josh had already finished his and jumped excitedly in his seat, waiting for Carter to finish up. He wanted to play a video game with Carter in his room.

When Carter finished, Josh jumped up excitedly, grabbing Carter and his plate and running towards the kitchen to place it into the dishwasher before he was tugging at her hand to come with him. Carter thanked Abbie for supper before she was running along with Josh towards his bedroom.

They quickly settled on his bed after he'd turned on his PlayStation and started the game. Josh explained the game to her, rambling on and on, on what she needed to do and Carter nodded along even though she understood nothing he was saying. Though she couldn't help the small smile that lit up her face as she watched him. He was breathless, his eyes bright as he showed her all the different moves her player could do.

When he was done explaining, he started up the game and was quick to attack her. Carter pressed any buttons, trying to contain her laughter when Josh would whine in protest when she was beating him. She knew it irritated him that she was winning because this was her first time playing the game. On their tenth round, Carter's phone started to ring and Josh eyed it with irritation.

Miles's name and a goody picture of the two of them lit up her screen and Carter was quick to answer the video call. "Hiii," Carter answered excitedly, giggling happily when Miles smiled widely at the sight of her.