Villagers

Blaster shots were hitting the ground next to you as you sprinted away from 43's disintegrated corpse. What was your brother before had now been turned into a black goo that was slowly seeping into the ground. Becoming one with the very thing that had killed him. A shot hit a fallen tree next to you and sent a few splinters your way, but your armour stopped them from penetrating you.

You did not think about where you were running. Just forward, forward away from this place. As far away as possible. Moving your legs got harder and harder the further you ran. They got stuck in the mud and everytime you lifted them again more of that toxic mix of dirt and acid got stuck on your feet. Only making them heavier. Your lungs were burning as if you wouldn't be wearing your helmet and breathing in the chemicals.

You jumped over a small fence and landed in a trench. Someone held a blaster against your face but immediately moved it away once they realized you were a mudtrooper.

"24! Where is the rest?"

You didn't manage to get a word out, all that escaped your mouth was a loud sob. 45 didn't say anything else. He kneeled down and put his hand on your shoulder. The others all stood around you, heads turned towards the floor.

45 pulled you up on your feet, "We will mourn later. We still have twenty minutes to get there."

You nodded and pressed LZ-3 against your chest. The little creature held onto you as your squad started running towards the lights of the village. Atleast he had made it. Atleast one of you. You'd protect him with your life, keep him safe from the horrors of his own homeplanet.

The other squads were already at your destination, waiting for you to join them. They didn't ask any questions but the way they respectfully nodded said enough. They had lost a few of their own men as well, but no squad was as badly decimated as yours. You didn't even have to think about doing your actual job as a medic, if any of them had been hurt they'd have died on the battlefield now.

There were a few villagers that looked at you. Neither of them clearly knew why there were so many mudtroopers standing on their front lawns. Well that would be a surprise, wouldn't it?

The village was protected from the rain via a giant dome. There was some sort of machine that kept it up and essentially functioned like an oversized umbrella that you could just walk through. There were some more mudtroopers on the other side of the village and you all entered simultaneously.

"Round the villagers up!", a sergeant shouted and your team went inside the closest house.

"GET UP!", 37 shouted and pointed the blaster at the men and women sleeping inside. They did their best to stand up as quick as possible.

"What's happening, Mom?", a small child asked and hid from you behind his mother's legs.

"Quiet now, shhh", she made and moved past you.

Any other day you would have seen her for what she was. Just a mother that tried to protect her child. Now...now you couldn't. The shirt she wore underneath her coat had a Resistance symbol on it. You didn't see that either. All you did see were the dead bodies of your comrades. No. Brothers.

You saw them getting shot by what she had supported. By her cause. She was as responsible for their deaths as the ones who had actually pressed the trigger.

The child fell down and you picked him up by its collar and put him back on his feet.

"Get the fuck out.", you hissed.

He started crying and the mother would have probably strangled you right there and then if you wouldn't be pointing a blaster at her face.

You moved into the next room. The people inside were already awake, pressing their bodies against the wall in a desperate attempt to get away from you. Some were shaking and trembling.