Landing

A few times during the flight you could feel Rey's presence coming closer, then stopping abruptly and leaving again. Turning around...then still deciding against coming to you. The struggle was real. Your words were like a butterfly on the top of a mountain. It had landed on the wrong stone. The stone starts rolling down. It hit another one, slightly bigger. Two stones rolling now. They hit a few more. More and more. The only question was whether or not they'd get stuck before the avalanche got too big to stop.

Nevertheless. They were stones. They were unaffected and no matter what someone else would stay...you couldn't put them back into the places they had been in before. They had been moved, or were still moving. It wouldn't go back to normal. No matter what Rey would try...your words had set something loose inside her. Perhaps it would be enough to free her from her preset way of thinking. Maybe she'd become her own person...unaffected by what others thought. Finally following only her own set of ideals and not the set she'd adapted at random.

You laughed quietly. Of course that wouldn't happen. If it did, your whole plan would stop working.

Eventually she showed up. She had been standing in the room for a good five minutes before finally convincing herself to talk to you again.

"They don't fall for the dark side?", she asked and sat down in the same place she'd sat in before. You lifted up the last box of medical supplies and neatly stacked it upon the rest before taking your own seat.

"No.", you sighed, "I am no expert in gray jedis...let me be clear about that."

"Mhhh.", she made, eager to hear more.

"But...", you stopped and looked at her, "Have you ever...ever in your life done anything that could be considered to be part of the dark side?"

She nodded, reluctantly, staring down at her own hands, "I thought I had killed Chewbacca. I used the dark side to destroy the transporter..."

And kill a bunch of stormtroopers in the process. Everyone always forgot that they had friends too. No one cared enough for the one or other man or woman hidden behind a mask in white armour. Uniforms gave you a feel of connection to one another but they also took away every bit of individuality you had. You were just part of a whole, a collective. One alone didn't matter and did about as much damage as an ant. But even ants had close friends...to Rey they all looked the same, but they weren't.

You shook your head, "No. Why did you use it?"

"I wanted to save him. It was an accident!"

You smiled and grabbed her hands, "That's not falling for the dark side. You have merely used it.", you took a deep breath and tried to recall what you had read a few minutes ago, "It takes a lot to fall. The dark side itself is neutral...a tool to use, nothing more. To actually fall for it takes a truly despicable act. Gruesome. Horrifying."

She tilted her head slightly.

"The Sith have yellow eyes. Not even Kylo has those."

The heat in her presence flared up. Fuck. Wrong again.

"So he can be saved!", she blurted out.

"Not the point."

She nodded and pulled her hands away, staring at them for a bit longer. You placed your hand on her shoulder.

"I have no connection with the Force...so I could never understand you properly", that was half wrong. If only she knew, "Neither Kylo or you are part of the dark or the light. You're both torn in between the two. Maybe...maybe you shouldn't decide. That's all."