Mask

Kylo's POV
The dust, dirt and debris was still falling from the star destroyers now silently hovering over Exegol. It would probably still take a while before it had settled.
Thousands upon thousands of planet destroying flying cities have been hidden on this planet for years. The death star a few decades ago was enough to send the whole galaxy into a state of fear and submission. Same with Starkiller base. If the galaxy knew the true power of what was hidden here? There wouldn't even be a fight. Not one faction would oppose them. None that wanted to survive, anyhow.

Actually...that was wrong. There had always been people opposing the Dark side. The rebel alliance decades ago. The Resistance now. People that had lost everything to the current ruling power, either by accident or by force. People that thought the First Order's ways were wrong. And people that simply wanted to fight. Emotionally unstable people. Immature people. Everyone going through their rebellious phase. Kylo wasn't exactly aware of the irony.

This power could tip the scales in their favour. Defeat those pesky Resistance fighters. Ensure total and absolute control over the galaxy. Restore Order. Keep the crime rates down on every planet. Eliminate crime all together, if they could rule for long enough. No one would dare to steal if the punishment for doing so was death. Instead of angering locals by stealing their children for the First Order's army, they could clone their best current soldiers. Increase not only the capabilities but also their obedience. It was...too good to be true.

What did Sidious have in mind? He'd never allow Kylo to just take over the throne and rule as Emperor. Did he want Kylo to be his apprentice? Literally step into Darth Vader's footsteps. No. He had promised him the seat of the Emperor if he could kill Rey.
But killing Rey? She'd shown in the past that she would be a very capable user of the dark side of the Force. If Kylo could convince her somehow. Convert her. Together they'd have a chance against Sidious. She was strong. Inhumanely so. It was ridiculous. Not even Anakin Skywalker, the chosen one, had been as promising as she was.

Converting her was the only way. Changing her way of thinking. Convincing her that the side she had chosen on a whim was weaker and incapable of protecting her oh-so-precious friends.

Defeating Sidious alone would be an almost impossible task, even with the help of the Doc. Kylo had an idea how to do it though. It wouldn't exactly be easy, but with enough preparation he could do it.

For that to work...however...he had to get to Rey. Speak to her. Convince her that her true place was with him. On the Dark Side. Where she belonged. He had always known this, with her being Emperor Palpatine's granddaughter, Sidious' granddaughter... It was obvious.

But she was so frustrating. Incapable of any rational thought. She was stumbling through the world around her, getting dragged along by its events. If he'd found her first, it wouldn't have been a problem. None whatsoever, but because the 'light side of the force' had to find her before he had she was now convinced she belonged to it.

Just like that...without any reason she had joined the Resistance. She had always been a girl that had been looking for her destiny. Her place within the galaxy. She'd never found it being on that damned sand planet, gathering junk. The moment there was the slightest bit of excitement and the feeling of belonging she had grasped that straw like a drowning person trying to keep themselves above water.

Given it was the first time and probably only time she had felt like she belonged to something... she didn't want to betray them. Wanted to stay true to its cause. A cause that wasn't hers, or...hadn't been hers from the start. Now she held onto it, didn't want to oppose those that had fought for that goal their whole lives. Pretending to be one of them. As if she'd always wanted this. It was pathetic. The only thing she ever had going for her was the sheer amount of power that was given to her by...what? Genetics?