6

AADI: (trembling, pointing at Bharat) He--- He is the one! He's the one who attacked us! Stop him! Grab him!

None of them move an inch.

Aadi looks at them in despair.

Bharat studies the bruises on Aadi's face in genuine concern.

BHARAT: Mr. Aditya Vardhan, is everything alright? What happened to your face?

Aadi shoots a poisonous glare.

Bharat looks to his staff for an explanation (very innocently).

BHARAT: What happened here? (to the Manager) Sam. Tell me what's going on.

SAM: (hesitating) Sir, someone broke into Mr. Vardhan's room and assaulted him and his wife.

BHARAT: (feigning shock) What!!! What --- Are you kidding me? How is this possible? How did this happen?

Silence.

BHARAT: Aren't you people supposed to screen everyone that comes here? So how the hell did a stranger get by and assault a guest?

Silence.

BHARAT: (loud) Why are you quiet, goddammit? Answer me!

Aadi observes them. Something's fishy. They look genuinely scared.

AADI: Enough of this drama, I'm calling the police.

He digs into his pockets for his phone, finds nothing. He hurries to the front desk, picks up the phone.

Bharat grabs the receiver, slams it back down.

BHARAT: Whoa-whoa-whoa-whoa, Mr. Vardhan. We'll get to that. First, you need a doctor, not the police. Look at you! And your wife ---

Aadi's hand is still on the receiver, Bharat's hand over his, pinning it down.

AADI: Back off.

Bharat takes a deep breath, bows his head, and swipes a finger under his nose. When he looks up at Aadi, his eyes twinkle dangerously.

BHARAT: (quietly) I don't warn twice, Aditya Vardhan. And you shouldn't have left your wife alone back there.

Aadi stares at Bharat with an impending sense of doom.

BHARAT: (quietly) I don't take much time to execute something. So, come along quietly.

Aadi abandons his 'police' plans, allows Bharat to lead him back to the room. Before leaving, Bharat glances over his shoulder at the staff with a dangerous look in his eye.

BHARAT: Not a word.

BACK IN THE ROOM

Neha attempts to get out of bed, when, the door opens. Aadi limps in with Bharat on his tail.

Horrified, she shrieks.

NEHA: Aadi!

BHARAT: Tell her to shut up, or I'll finish her.

Quickly, he pulls out the gun from his pocket, aims it at Neha.

She screams!

BHARAT: (finger tightens on the trigger) Tell her!

AADI: (trembling, holds up his arms, assuring her) Baby, please. It's okay. It's okay. Just calm down, please. Shh!

She muffles her cries with a hand over her mouth.

Suddenly, Bharat kicks him down.

He falls, twisting his broken leg even further. He tightens into a ball, trying not to scream in pain.

Neha SCREAMS!

BHARAT: (aiming the gun at her) Shut it, you bitch! No more warnings for you!

NEHA: (whimpering) Please...

BHARAT: I SAID SHUT IT!

She palms her mouth, muffling her cries.

BHARAT: (turning to Aadi) What the hell was that all about? Back there, at the front desk? Thought you could pull a fast one, eh? I'd fucking warned you!

THUD! Bharat kicks him in the ribs.

NEHA: No! Please!

A METALLIC SOUND ensues as Bharat FIRES a shot at Neha, missing her by inches, EXPLODING into the aquarium behind her.

Aadi grabs Bharat's ankle, yanks hard, attempts to pull him down. He doesn't budge. It only earns him a kick on the face, breaking his nose. CRACK!

BHARAT: (sadistic sneer) How does that feel, eh? Hurts, doesn't it? A broken nose?

Neha squirms in despair. She's terrified beyond her wits.

Just then, the door opens and an in-house doctor walk in nimbly. He sees the brutal and bloody sight before him but doesn't react.

Bharat steps away, heaving angrily. He strolls to the other end of the room and returns, pauses and watches as the doctor helps Aadi on to the couch and examine them.

BHARAT: (snaps at the doctor) What's your assessment?

DOCTOR: Madam is quite okay. Minor bruises. But Mr. Vardhan requires hospitalization. That's a dislocation... (the leg and the nose) and he's bleeding....

BHARAT: Whatever! Make the necessary arrangements. And remember, not a word.

DOCTOR: Yes, sir.

The doctor follows all instructions like a robot, with the least bit of emotion.

As they wait in their room for an ambulance...

Bharat sits across Aadi, watching him intently...

Aadi holds an ice pack over his face... He holds a bloody towel in the other hand.

Neha sits on the bed, eyes down, shaken...

BHARAT: Bygones are bygones. What happened back there at the front desk is fine. They won't utter a word. After all, I'm the owner of this hotel, and I'm on the board of directors.

Aadi looks up at Bharat.

BHARAT: But don't think of pulling off the same mistake. You won't be so lucky next time. Bear in mind what I'd told you before. Forget about everything, stop whining and move on with your life. Or I know where to find you.

***