4

BEDROOM – MUCH LATER

Their guests have left.

When Aadi walks into the room, she's folding laundry and stacking it into their wardrobe.

He sinks onto the bed.

NEHA: Gone?

AADI: (dejected) Yeah.

A moment of silence as Neha continues to fold laundry. All the while, she studies him, noting how deflated he looks. She did hear their conversation in part, she knew why they had come.

NEHA: What were they telling you?

AADI: Nothing much. Just like that, they came to pay a visit.

After a brief pause ---

AADI: They wanted me to work with them.

A brief silence. It digs up horrifying memories from the past. Of how Aadi struggled to reach where he wanted to. Of how he got beat down to rock bottom. Of how he gave up on his dreams for her. For all of them. Something in her stings bad, weighs down on her, as though she were responsible in a way.

NEHA: And?

AADI: And what? Nothing.

NEHA: What did you tell them?

AADI: I said I'm not doing it.

Neha is quiet as she continues to stack the wardrobe, now, at a decreased pace. She recollects Anuj's excitement when he cracked the news.

QUICK MEMORY FLASH –

ANUJ: You won't believe who's taking on our next project. Fox Studios! It's going to be one hell of a deal! Plus, we're going to shoot Hollywood style. Intensive marketing. We're going to be there on the global map, buddy!

BACK TO NEHA

NEHA: (not looking at Aadi) I think you should do it.

He glares up at her.

AADI: I made a decision three years back. A promise. I'm not going back on that.

NEHA: Sometimes we need to be more practical.

AADI: (sarcastic) Really, Neha? Are you telling me this? You were the first one who wanted me to quit.

NEHA: Yes, but ---

AADI: But what? Why the change now?

She is speechless.

AADI: Because it's a "great" opportunity? I worked my ass off to reach that greatness. For years. And now...?

A lump gets stuck in her chest as he chokes emotion.

AADI: Now I'm nothing. I'm just existing, doing something I don't even want to. And I hope that everyone's happy now. Everyone should be. Must be. Right?

He shoots to his feet and storms out.

A deafening silence in the room, rendering her unable to move. Something pricks her inside, bringing tears to her eyes.

***