5

KITCHEN - LATER

Neha sweeps up the mess into a dustpan.

Aadi paces up and down, holding an ice pack over his broken butt. Every now and then, he winces and mumbles something.

She steals a sheepish glance at him. The chances of him cooling down any time sooner look very slim. He's always the first one to make up after a fight. But this time, she's ready to take the first step, because, she's genuinely concerned about his present state, especially, when she's pretty sure that she's delivered a sixer to his butt.

She dumps the flour into the dustbin, rises and goes to him. She shifts on the spot for a moment, then, stops him.

He shoots a deadly glare, one that could reduce her to ashes.

NEHA: (sheepish, struggling to meet his eyes) Um... Come... Come to the room.

AADI: (irritated) For what?

NEHA: (quietly, stroking his arm) I'll put some oil for you.

He scoffs, gently pulls his hand away.

AADI: No need.

She gently tugs at his arm. He pulls away.

AADI: (tsks) Don't touch me.

She does it again, this time, with a teeny-weeny pout.

He sees that, and damn! It derails him, weakening his resolve to stay mad.

AADI: I said, don't touch me.

Her eyes shine victoriously. She's broken through his first line of defence.

He looks away, jaw throbbing fiercely.

She spots that and grins. His jaw always gives him away, especially when he's struggling to hold back a smile or a laugh.

He catches her smiling.

AADI: (stern) What?

She nods, "nothing", smiling even more.

AADI: (even stern) What's so funny?

NEHA: (hiding her smile) Nothing.

AADI: (annoyed) What's so funny!!?

NEHA: (still grinning) What the!!! I told you, nothing.

AADI: Then? Why are you laughing?

NEHA: What? Can't I laugh or what?

AADI: No! You can't!

She chuckles.

AADI: Shut up! Just shut up!

She laughs.

AADI: Do you have any clue about what just happened? You turned the entire house upside down! And all for a silly mouse!

NEHA: Even you would have done the same if it were a cockroach. Especially those big, flying ones.

AADI: That's irrelevant at this juncture!

NEHA: (sarcastic) Yeah, right. The only thing common here is the reaction.

She savours on his defeat - oh! The helpless flaring nostrils and bulging eyes, then, with a smirk, turns around with a haughty toss of her mane.

But, Aadi's plotting revenge.

AADI: There it goes! Get it!

It reminds her: the mouse is still at large! With one leap, she's on the counter, shrieking!

He traps her in between his arms, smirking victoriously.

AADI: Who's laughing now, eh? Huh?

Comprehension dawns on her. He just crafted a jackass out of her!

NEHA: You!!!

Furious, she pounds her fists all over him.

NEHA: Idiot!!! I'll kill you!!!

He grapples her arms out of range and stills her with a kiss.

When they withdraw, she's breathless, and so is he.

AADI: (quietly) How about you giving me that hot oil massage you were talking about?

***