45.

RYDER POV

Inquiring minds wanted to know...

"Ryder can you stop with the selfies?" My dad asked

"What? I have to post!" I smiled.

Dad and I were on our way to get something to eat. We've done this from ever since. I like the time we spend together alone. "Where do you want to eat?".

I shrugged "anywhere".

"That doesn't answer the question" he joked.

"Dad!!!" I whined.

"Fine I'll figure it out since you want to eat anywhere" he said.

I'm not blind to what goes on in the house or with my siblings. But I just stay out of it. Most of time they won't even listen to my opinion anyway. Dad's phone text alert went off. I already knew it was Salem. I've never met someone so needy for attention in my life.

"Salem?" I asked.

My dad glanced at me "she's saying something about she went to see Harlow and the baby and she was turned away by both Harlow and stone".

"I mean I was there to see bentley and she was still upset you both missed her shower" I said.

"It's not like I purposely missed it. I had all intention of going. But Salem couldn't handle seeing all baby related things" he said. When he told me that all I could do is stare at him in disbelief "coming from the women who was recently in a children's store!".

He didn't say anything. We got to the Chinese spot which I was all for. "Do you think Harlow will come to my sweet sixteen party?".

"I don't know" he said.

Harlow and I have always been close. She's always been that big sister to me. Anytime I needed someone she was there. Unlike Salem... well to be honest she wasn't around like Harlow was. Even if you ask River who his favorite sister is he'll say Harlow.

"Dad can I ask you something?" I asked.

He nodded.

"How come Harlow and you aren't close? Like how you and I. Or even how you and Salem are" I asked.

He shrugged "I can't answer that because I don't know. With and Salem it's easy. Harlow is a little harder for me".

"Harder in what sense?" I asked. Just had to clarify what he was trying to say.

"Meaning... you and Salem... are like soft cushions. Where as Harlow is a hard shell. As many times as I can try and crack it it won't break. Then it's harder for me to get through".

Looking at him confused "Harlow is such an easy person to get along with. She's such a nice caring person".

He nodded "I bet she is".

"Yeah, when I was there seeing Bentley for the first time I saw how stone really cares for her. It's like he took over your roll... in a way. Weird" I said.

"How is bentley? Who does he look like?" He asked.

"Umm shouldn't you have been over there already? That's your grandson! I bet if Salem didn't lose that baby and it was born you would've been there from when she had gotten home. Try and do the same for Harlow at least".

"Mom said I wasn't allowed there" he said.

"Oh I know! But it doesn't hurt to try and see her. What's the worst that can happen? Her saying to leave her alone? You can't say you didn't try" I said.

"Not that easy" he said.

"Maybe try and invite her out to eat. Just the two of you. No phones either. Salem would be blowing up your phone otherwise. Girl got problems" I said.

My dad didn't agree or disagree. But he looks like he was thinking about something. We are a close knit family. I would hate that Harlow feels like she's not wanted. Meanwhile we have Salem who feels entitled.

When we were done we got some ice cream and headed home. The house dynamic was sometimes odd. Depending if my mom and dad were not fighting. Usually the fights are always about the same person. Harlow. My mom doesn't like the fact my dad alienates Harlow. She doesn't understand why he can't bond with her. That's the mystery question.

Other times they can be lovey dovey. Like one time I walked in on them slow dancing in the living room with some soft music playing. So it's hit or miss with them. And now... it's a miss. Until this Harlow thing gets settled. Whenever that is. Maybe when she comes to my party... a miracle might happen and things can go back to normal.

I guess we'll see about that.