26: A date

When the door shut and Naruto immediately went to your side, "How are you doing y/n?"

"I'm fine," you said blankly.

He frowned, "Are you sure?"

"No," you admitted.

"What is it? Do you need more medication or food maybe some pillows—"

"No," you interrupted, "I should be all right." You gave him a reassuring smile but he didn't seem convinced. He needed to make sure you were alright.

"Don't worry about me you dunce, I'm going to be fine," you said.

He smiled, even though you insulted him he took it as a sign that you were alright, "You're back!"

"Of course I am, they can't get rid of me just like that," you answered.

"I was so worried, I thought I lost you," he said.

You awkwardly chuckle, "Well, don't stress about it too much."

A shadow appears on Naruto's face.

"I couldn't keep my promise, " he said solemnly.

You raise a brow, "What promise?"

"That night of the party when you fell asleep, I promised that I'd protect you," he explained.

"And you did," you reassured him, "When the Anbu was coming for me, you protected me even if it hurt you."

"No," he grits his teeth, "If I did my job correctly you wouldn't be here right now," he said with resentment towards himself.

You give him a soft smile, "Hey, I told you not to worry about it."

 His anger faded at the sight of you giving him a genuine smile. Then his heart started to beat and blood rushed to his cheeks. He just remembered what you had told him just seconds before your death. The words stuck with him 'I love you' then he realized that she wasn't alive long enough to hear him say it back.

"I love you too," he said without warning and looked deep in your eyes. You saw that he was longing to do something.

Your face turned a slight pink, "N-Naruto?"

 He leaned in and he was inches away from your face. It made you blush furiously. He could feel your racing heartbeat since he was so close. He chuckled a bit before he gave you a gentle peck.
  He said while still close to you, "When I thought I lost you, there were so many things running through my mind, things that I wanted to tell you," he let out. "And I don't want to wait and risk losing you again. So I'm just going to ask."

You began to grow nervous as Naruto was so close to you. He noticed this and returned to his old spot.

 He sighed, "Y/n, I really, really enjoy being around you and I didn't realize it until I lost you. I don't ever want to feel that kind of pain again, I want to keep you close. But not just because I have to. I want you to be close to me because you love me and you want to be together. So I just want to ask if you want to be my girlfriend?"

Your jaw slightly dropped and your tinted face became a crimson red. Your heart fluttered, "I-I...are-aren't you supposed to take me on a date first?" you questioned a bit flustered.

He Deadpanned, "Oh yeah."

You shook your head dramatically, "Doesn't even know how to ask a girl out, what am I going to do with your dumbass?"

"Well, just wait until you get out of here, I'll take you out on a date. And that's a promise," he said breathlessly.

"I look forward to it," you responded.