39: Houston, we have a problem.

~timeskip~

"We're here!" Mai joyfully grabbed Naruto's arm and ran up to the gates.

You followed close behind and crossed the gates.

So no rogue ninja? This doesn't feel right.

Once you entered the gates, the guards gave you a cold look. You gave them the signature Hatake closed eye smile and said, "Yo."

They grumbled in response and looked away.

Huh, okay then... a bit rude but whatever.

As you scanned the village it felt incredibly cold. The people looked dull and apathetic, they kept away from you guys and cleared path once they saw Mai. It wasn't as lively and upbeat as the leaf.

I don't like this

You were to escort Mai to her father, once that was done you had safely protected the princess and the mission complete...almost.

Mai happily walked along the path and told Naruto all about the village.

You noticed a crowd of people snickering amongst themselves. You couldn't hear much of what they were saying but did manage to hear, "They have no idea what is coming for them hehe."

Your breath hitched, What do they mean?

Hmm...

You walked further and went into where Mai's father lived. It was a huge palace with extravagant decoration pieces everywhere. Maids immediately rushed to Mai's side as they saw her come in. They offered her drinks and snacks.

"No thanks," she said.

Then you could hear footsteps coming your way. Coming towards you was a tall man with sharp eyes that had great pain in them.

"Mai, welcome home," he said.

Her eyes lit up, "Daddy!" She swung her arms around him.

"Hi, I hope you had a wonderful trip," He said.

Mai nodded and backed up to introduce the two of you. "This is Naruto and y/n, " She said, "They did a good job of protecting me. We also made very good friends, isn't that right, y/n?"

Ha, that's funny, I hate her guts. Ugh, but I can't say that.

"Yup," you lied.

Mai smiled.

Shiver

"That's right. You two are very strong shinobi, aren't you? I'm glad the Hokage put you two in charge," he said with a genuine smile unlike his daughter's. He then turned his attention to you, "You're the Hokage's daughter, correct?"

You nodded, "Yes sir, Y/n Hatake."

He eyed you up and down then smiled, "Good."

Eh?

"Well, it's getting late. To thank you for taking good care of Mai, I want to place you in a five star hotel for the night. The man looked at one of the maids, "Take them there, will you?"

"Of course sir."

"Oh no, we can't," you said. "We have to get back to our village as soon as possible."

"Is that so," the man asked.

You nodded.

"Well, I'll miss you guys!" Mai gave Naruto a small hug and said "I love you!"