Soup

Mando sits flying the ship while the child reaches for buttons and switches. "Stop touching things." Mando scolds him. "Mando. He's a kid. He doesn't know. We need to get him some toys."

"Talking about supplies, any idea when you're going to pull off? We can't fly around forever." Mando turns to me nodding. "I know. Let's see."

I lean down looking at the assortment of planets. "Oh look! What about Sorgan?" I look at Mando and see his black visor inches from my face. "Sorry," I mutter withdrawing from his space.

He looks back down at the planet. "Looks like there's no starport, no industrial centers, no population density. Real backwater skug hole. Which means it's perfect for us. You ready to lay low and stretch your legs for a couple of months, you little womp rat? Nobody's gonna find us here. Good choice, Aria." I grin at Mando. "Thanks."

Since asking Mando the question game conditions haven't been the same. Not poor in any way, but it's rigid. Almost as something is altered or will go wrong. Just the tightness is heavy in the air when he's near. I shouldn't have stepped on him and his ways of living.

Mando lands the ship in a clearing in the center of the woods. I look around at the trees and grass. "This is beautiful." Mando nods and wanders away. "Keep the kid safe. I'm gonna go out there and I'm gonna look around. It shouldn't take too long." He says with his back turned to me. 

"Can't I go with you?"

"Can't you watch the kid?"

I follow him to the door as it settles on the ground. "I can watch him while we look around." Mando sighs. "Fine. Don't slow me down." I laugh scooping up my child. "Oh, please Mando. You can't keep up with me."

Walking into town was quaint. They seemed to live happily and calmly. This would be somewhere I dreamed of staying when I was younger. "Are you hungry?" I shrug looking at Mando. "I could eat. This little guy definitely needs something." Mando nods and walks forwards sitting at a table.

As I take a seat I narrow my eyes at Mando. "What?" "You're acting weird." "I'm not." "Are too. And I know why. It's because I almost-" "Can we talk about this later?" Mando sighs. "Are you busy at the moment?" Mando nods and turns his head towards one young woman sitting alone.

"Welcome, travelers. Can I interest you in anything?" "Bone broth, for the little one, and anything my- the lady wants." "Oh, well, you're in luck. I just took down a grinjer, so there's plenty. Can I interest you in a porringer of broth as well?" "One of those please," I speak messing with the table. "Very well."

"That one over there. When did she arrive?" Mando asks gesturing over to the women. " I've seen her here for the last week or so." "What's her business here?" "Business? Oh, well, there's not much business in Sorgan, so I can't say. She doesn't strike me as a log runner." Mando tosses over a tip in hopes of more information causing me to shake my head when his plan fails.

"Well, thank you, sir. I will get that broth to you as soon as possible, and I will throw in a flagon of spotchka just for good measure. I will be right back with that for your family." The waitress says and walks away. "Nice job. Looks like she's eating good tonight." He huffs standing up. "Keep an eye on the kid." Then he just walks away leaving me alone. "Can you believe him?" I scoff looking down at the child.

Minutes later the waitress sets down our meal. "Will your husband be coming back, miss?" "My husband? Oh! Wow. He's my- Yeah. He should be coming back." The waitress nods and snickers walking away. "I need to learn to shut my mouth," I say turning to the child, but only saw an empty seat and his bowl of soup missing.

I hurry out of the hut and around the edge to see the child sampling his soup while watching Mando and the unknown women on the ground blasters drawn. "Should I come back?"