Chapter 7 : Cold

There will be times when even love leaves you cold.

Jaanki opened her eyes to find him missing beside her. She smiled remembering the lovemaking of the previous night. He had literally worshipped her the last night. She sat up holding up the bed sheet around her nude form. She noticed that it was seven on the clock. She smiled maybe he was making breakfast. She couldn't even recollect when was the last time he did that. She decided to take a much-needed shower before joining him in the kitchen. 

When she reached the kitchen, a rude shock awaited her. He was nowhere around. She rushed back to the room and looked for his phone. Not there. His wallet was missing too. So, were his regular pair of shoes. She picked up the phone and without a second thought, called him up. His voice mail message ran. Angrily she threw the phone on the bed. What did he think of himself? 

This hurt. She no longer recognized this man. Let him come back home, she thought. He will have to face winter from her too. She will make him feel the chills and give him that cold shoulder. Just like he left her cold this morning. The absence of affection in a relationship made one cold. He made her feel cold now, he was no longer the man who was her personal source of warmth. She went about the day like a robot, not able to get over his behavior.

That night when he came home, Jaanki didn't utter a word. Not a single word. He did the same. That night Jaanki cried herself to sleep. She was cold and he didn't care enough to give her warmth or even wipe her tears. The fear in her heart was rapidly growing. Was he tired of loving her?

The next morning, he was gone before she woke up again. The fear began gripping Jaanki's heart strongly, as the entire week went the same way. It was Sunday finally. That morning she woke up to find him sleeping hugging the extra pillow. What mistake had she committed to be pushed away?  Worse to be replaced by a mass of cotton wrapped in sheet? A darned pillow took her place! 

She shifted close stealthily and ran her fingers over his hair. She leaned over and breathed his scent. She missed him so much. At least, when he was sleeping he wasn't pushing her away. He had begun to worry her now. Especially his behavior. Why had he drifted so away from her? What was bothering him? The most important question that stabbed her heart was - Why didn't he trust her enough to share the problem, whatever it was?

He moved in sleep and she took the opportunity and quickly took away the extra pillow from his hold. She slipped closer and replaced the pillow. Gently picking up his arm, she put it around her waist. She basked in the feeling of being where she rightfully belonged. He could be as much as stubborn he was. She was no less wilful, she would find a way back to him every time.

Avinash woke up to find his wife's face pressed against his chest. His lips curled up, as his fingers gently pushed her hair away from her face. So serene. He particularly loved how she was nestled in his arms. He stared at her as sadness dawned over his face. He hated what he was doing. But he had to do it. Sighing he shifted slightly and gently held her face close to himself before laying her head on the pillow. He paused momentarily sinking in the closeness. He missed this. But he knew there was no point being weak now. He had to push her far away. So far away that she would never be able to find the way back to him. 

He walked into the shower taking deep breaths. This was so freaking hard. Nevertheless, he was willing to do it. 

࿇ ═━━━━✥◈✥━━━━═ ࿇

Don't forget to vote and comment, if you liked it.

-Anami! ♡