Chapter 34 : Untroubled

"I was attracted to you, and before I knew, I was falling for you."

Jaanki walked out of her room trying her hair. The idea of a late afternoon nap had been great, she felt so much better. "Hey, handsome!" She greeted her husband who sat at the dining table with his laptop before him.

"Hey!" He greeted, lowering his screen. She looked at him observantly and dragged out the chair beside his. He shifted in his chair lost in his thoughts.

"We should talk." She sighed knowing that they did have to talk out their running minds to avoid misunderstandings.

He shifted and turned his chair to face hers. Holding her hand he looked into her eyes. Jaanki grew rigid. By now she knew what that look meant. Before even listening to what he had to say she began, "Please don't repeat the same old thing. You.."

"Jaanki," he began cutting her off. "We have a bigger responsibility now. What happened the other night cannot happen again! I, I feel horrible, to have behaved that way with you, for hurting you. I won't be able to live with the guilt of hurting you again and our baby. Jaanki, please understand things from my perspective. I don't want myself to be a father like..." she covered his mouth with her palm. 

"You'll be the best father, ever." She spoke gently cascading her hand down his face. "Avi, do you realize in the past week you haven't been to the office and how well you've been? Your work stress is taking a troll on you."

"I can't neglect work, Jaanki. In the last month, our expenses have surged. My therapy, dealing with all the mess I create and soon your pregnancy will add up. It's not easy to survive without money. Lack of money makes humans monsters." He spat turning away reminded of his past.

Jaanki took a deep breath holding his hand. "I know Avi. I understand. But, if work stress is making you something you never want to be then why not leave it? Let me take over my role as deputy CEO."

He raised his gaze to meet her eyes. Jaanki swallowed the lump that had formed in her throat. "Avi, I respect your male ego as much as I mock it. That's why I have never tried interfering. I have let you be my protector, my knight in shining armor. But now that I see you need a break, let me be yours? I swear once you're better I will back off. I wouldn't meddle in your business."

Avinash stared at her with drooping eyes. "Do you really think I would mind if you worked with me?"

"No, I am just saying that I wanted to give you that space. I never wanted to be professionally involved with you. It is messed up to mix personal and professional life."

"Jaanki, you just implied that it was my ego --- "

"Yes. Okay. You do have a very strong male ego. And I like that about you. This urge you have to always be my protector, the possessiveness, have everything under your control. I like all of it, and all that adds to your male ego."

"You're saying it in a way to impress me. But you're actually mocking me." Avinash exclaimed stumped at his wife's smart way of mockery.

"If I want to mock, I do it on the face. You know that better." Jaanki spoke staring at him.

He sighed, leeting the matter go. "I have been thinking... I think I should go to rehab." Dead silence fell. Jaanki stared at him in disbelief. For a man as egotistical as him, to admit that he needed help from rehab was certainly a big thing.

 "You can take over at office provided you promise to not strain yourself and not take stress. You taking charge would also boost the morale of the employees. I am a badass for them anyway." He turned his gaze from the table to her face. "Plus, I don't really mind you working with me or owning the company."

"They have no clue what a bigger badass I am going to be." She grinned mischievously.

He grinned, placing his elbows on his thighs, leaning. He tilted his head up to look at her. "You aren't a badass. In fact, you've got a pretty good round...." he stopped abruptly becoming the recipient of her whack. He laughed sitting back in his chair. "I was complimenting your ass!" He justified.

"Shh, now. Would you prefer tea or coffee?" She asked rising from the chair. 

"Um, you?" He asked reaching his hand out to hold hers. She dodged and sprinted away. "Sorry Mister, not an option."

He got to his feet running behind her to the kitchen. "Jaanki, you can't possibly escape for long," He muttered grasping her arm, caging her between the counter and himself. 

"I don't think your thoughts are decent, Sir." She remarked playfully running her fingertips on his collarbone.

"Really?" He questioned gently pressing his groin against hers. He leaned over her face. "You're absolutely right." He exclaimed nibbling at the skin on her neck. 

"Avinaaasshhh" She moaned pleased as he got the right spot. Her hands quickly holding onto his shoulders. 

"You like that?" He whispered. 

"Love that, but not now, please. I am craving for my cup of tea."

He pulled his face away from her, staring at her dumbfounded. "You're choosing tea over me?" 

"No way. I am just saying we can continue this after tea."

"What if I am not in the mood later?"

"I know how to get you in the mood." She smiled chewing on her lower lip and winked.

He smiled ear to ear and rubbed his cheek against hers, pulling her into a hug. "I am so glad I fell for you."

"Because I can get you in the mood any time?" She asked tilting her head away from his so that she could meet his eyes.

"No, I mean --- that's also a valid reason though." He muttered thoughtfully. "But, because you're this amazing wonderful woman." He attempted at explaining. She nodded pushing him away.

She could feel his gaze on her as she prepared tea. "I will have tea too." He spoke and she nodded with a smile.

࿇ ═━━━━✥◈✥━━━━═ ࿇

Would love to know your thoughts.

-Anami! ♡