Chapter 24 : Drifted

"Distance is scary. It makes me wonder whether you'll forget me or miss me..." 

Jaanki stared at him as a thick silence fell, while they stood in the room which was supposed to be hers for a few days from now. "Settled then?" He asked looking around. The two of them had set the room for her. She nodded looking away. She didn't feel he was her husband. He seemed like a stranger. She blinked her eyes trying to restrain her tears. She felt his  hands engulf her from behind. The control she had been trying to hold firmly, slipped out of her hands. She closed her eyes and tears sprinkled down. 

"I am sorry, Jaanki. I wish...I .." He tried comforting her.

"It's okay." She whispered placing her hands on his arms, caressing them. "Just, promise- that you will call me when you need me. Irrespective of when, how, why!"

"I have no other home!" He whispered kissing her neck. His hold around her growing tighter.  Jaanki bit her lower lip. She wanted to scream...why was he putting distance between them then.

"Jaanki, thank you. For understanding." His voice was soft, he followed that with another tender kiss on her cheek from behind.

She tried to smile. "You mustn't kiss me like that unless you have something in mind, Jaan-e-man!" 

Avinash's chuckles reverberated causing her heart to race. "I should get going, I have a meeting." He spoke stepping back. She quickly turned and hugged him.

"Take care, and please ask me to come back soon." She whispered placing a kiss over his chest where she could hear his heartbeat.

He smiled. "I thought, women like freedom from their husbands," he teased.

"I think it's the other way around." She grinned looking up at him.

"Jaanki, I--" Lehra stopped abruptly, "ah, sorry, carry on...I will be out." Lehar grinned.

The two of them immediately stepped a little away. "Lehar, it's not.," Avinash uttered while Jaanki blushed looking away. 

"Yeah.." Lehar laughed. "Well, if you guys say so, " she chortled amused, walking in folding her hands. "So you're leaving?" She asked looking at Avinash, clearly having fun.

"Yeah, I was!" He slowly pulled back his hand from his wife's waist, stepping aside. 

"Take care!" He whispered looking at Jaanki and turned his heels to the door. Jaanki felt Lehar nudging her. She glanced at her to find her waggling her brows. 

"He's my husband!" She muttered in a hushed voice. 

"I think I should start looking for another oommate, I can already see you running back home in less than two days," Lehar remarked. Jaanki grinned, wishing she could.