Chapter 28 : Heal

"Let me kiss your scars, in hope that it will heal!"

Jaanki sat silently on the edge of the bed. He kneeled before her on the floor, his hands holding hers. It was as though, he was afraid he would fall into the unknown if he left her hands. "I am sorry." He finally breathed out.

She tried to free her hand to caress his hair. But he didn't let go. She patiently held on, even when she wanted to scream at him. "I shouldn't have spoken that way.." he further said.

"I am not upset about that." She spoke, her voice feeble.

Momentarily, he was disoriented. She prayed that he chose to let her in. Into his private hell. She didn't want him to be there all alone. He took a deep breath and muttered, "you know me better." 

"Why?" She whispered.

"It felt terrible. I was pushing you away when I promised I'd never leave you. I was being selfish, Jaanki. That night when you were mumbling over the phone call, I realized,  that you were hurting so much. I felt terrible. The next morning when you called I was frustrated at everything and my headache didn't help. I snapped at you and then later in retrospect...I felt guilty. Hurting someone emotionally is as bad as hurting them physically. I was in, either way, hurting you. I broke my promise and drank that night. I have never felt so disgusted at myself. ..I.."

"You punished yourself, " she completed for him. Anger raked her nerves.  How dare he hurt himself! Yet, she tenderly cradled his face, lowering herself to sit on the mat, by his side. She hugged him as he cried. This wasn't the man she fell in love with. No. She fell in love with a man who was made up of self-respect, self-pride, self-love. She fell in love with that man who was confident in being himself. But, nonetheless, she knew no way to unlove him.

She pulled his head closer to her chest and provided him the home he wanted. Eventually, he lowered her head on his lap and she kissed his temple. Like a baby, he was cocooned on the mat. She caressed his hair. Seconds turned into minutes and minutes into hours. He had drifted into a deep slumber. She fondly continued to caress his hair. If she wasn't tired, she would have sat through the night like that. But fatigue got to her. 

She gently tapped his face. He shifted in sleep. "Avi, sleep on the bed." He nodded in a negative and held on to her lap. "You'll have a neck ache. Come on, get up." Reluctantly, he got up and she held his hand. He lay on the bed and slept again. He was dead exhausted. She smiled and unbuttoned a few buttons on the top and eased his shirt sleeves. Reaching his pant, she released the button. Covering him with a duvet she retired to the washroom to change. Minutes later she lay on he bed beside him pulling a duvet over their sleeping forms. She shifted closer to him with her lips curving up. 

* * *

"Good morning!" Jaanki smiled upon hearing his husky voice. She shifted closer hugging him. She felt his hand run on her back affectionately. "Sleeping beauty, wake up. Don't you have school?" 

Jaanki grinned. He always teased her like that. "I am planning to bunk." She spoke shifting her face to his chest, closing her eyes. 

"Jaanki, only naughty kids bunk." He teased and she smiled not opening her eyes. Momentarily, a deeper emotion flickered and faded. 

"You know how naughty I am Avi" She muttered not wanting to erase the smile off his face.

"My unbuckled pants said a lot!" He grinned. She giggled pressing her face against his chest. "Wake up Jaanki, I have to go to office."

"God! Go." Jaanki muttered moving away from him. She turned to the other side pulling the duvet and snuggling inside it. She felt his body press against her back. "Do you want to shower?"

"No. I want to sleep!" She mumbled.

"Jaanki, it's been a while we showered together." He tried persuading his wife, whispering in her ears. He so wanted to be close to her. He needed her so bad.

"Avi, you're wasting your time." She muttered.

He rolled his eyes and got off the bed. As a second thought passed his mind he crawled back and kissed her cheek. She smiled in her sleep. 

* * *

"Jaanki, wake up. See I ..I made breakfast." This time she finally woke up. "I want to sleep. Please call school and tell them I am unwell." Saying that she dropped back on to the mattress. He sighed lifting her up. Jaanki finally sat up. His hand was still holding hers. 

She couldn't help but notice the scar on his hand. She leaned close and kissed his scar. His eyes looked at her with unease. "Remember my lips have kissed every inch of your skin. Next time, stupid thoughts fill your mind, imagine me." He nodded lowering his gaze. She smiled, and kissed the back of his palms. "We can shower together once you get back." She added trying to lighten the heaviness that was growing between them.

He looked up and grinned. "Sure thing!" He winked. "Now, go brush your teeth. I am starving." She quickly got off the bed to brush. She rejoined him and they had breakfast on bed.

* * *

"Avinash, are you drunk?" Jaanki asked worried as he placed his foot inside the house. His hair messed and his neat blazer hanging on his arm. His shirt crumpled. She hoped he didn't get into some fight again. 

"No, I am not drunk. I freaking had just sixty ml. That stupid Girish Patel came to the office. He was threatening me in my bloody office." He spoke casting away his blazer in anger. Jaanki grimaced. The doctor had strictly asked him to stay off alcohol. Alcohol would only increase his irritability and aggression. Alcohol brought out people's natural tendencies.  In his case, it could bring out the anger he had been keeping a check on. She took a deep breath controlling her own rage at his stupidity.

She walked up to him and made him sit on the chair. She gently massaged his shoulders. "It's okay, Avi . Forget it. You are at home with me." She wrapped her arms around him pressing a kiss against his temple. "Just close your eyes and breathe deeply." She whispered. The next thing she knew was, he was peeling off her arms getting off the chair and walking into the room. The loud thud of the door shutting loomed in the air before silence fell.

࿇ ═━━━━✥◈✥━━━━═ ࿇

I would love to know your point of view after this one.

Don't forget to vote on this chapter and the previous ones too! It's the way this book reaches a bigger audience. 

-Anami! ♡