How did this Happen?

Nightmare's pov

I still had Dream hidden in my room so no one else could see our plan. I was waiting with him until the pain died down. He was currently still kind of part Dream, part shattered Dream. I don't know.

So in this time I asked him this question.

"Hey Dream?" I asked.
"Hmm?" He hummed in response, signaling I could continue.
"Do you remember how this all started?" I asked looking up at the roof of my room. I had stuck little star stickers on the ceiling when I was younger. I don't remember when, but I know it was just a long time ago.

"What do you mean?" He turned to look at me in confusion.
"Like, why are we separated from eachother. Why can we not see the sky? What tore us apart." I said counting the stars.

He didn't respond.

"Because I remember a time where I could wake up and see the rising sun. You would watch with me. What happened to that?" I said, remembering one day in the summer, I woke Dream up at 5:00 and we got on top of the roof and we sat there watching the sky turn the most prettiest colors I have ever seen. Pink and purple and red. I remember turning to Dream and telling him
"I heard that if the sky is purple and pink, it will be a sunny day." Dreams face lit up with excitement. I still remember those days. What happened to them?

I looked over at Dream, he seemed to be staring off into space as well. Thinking about our conversation.

I sighed as I turned back to the ceiling. I cursed under my breath for losing my spot with the stars. And having to start all over.

Two twins.
One promised to always protect the other. The other promised to protect the world.
When their parents died they had no one else but eachother.
But like all siblings, they got into fights.

One day it went to far.

And they broke each of their promises.

The world had fallen apart because of the imbalance of the light and dark.
The twin had failed to protect the world.
Because of this, the twin had been hurt and beaten by the other Gods.
The other could do nothing but watch.
Thus breaking his promise of always protecting him.

"If you died I wouldn't care!"

"You're gonna regret you said that."

"I won't! You don't even deserve to be happy! At least that would put balance back into the world again! We would have never been in this situation if it wasn't for you! You're the god of negativity for crying out loud!"

Nightmare had nothing to say. He just looked down in defeat.

"We would all be happy if it wasn't for you."

Nightmare clenched his teeth and tightened his fist.

"FINE THEN! SEE IF I CARE THAT MY BROTHER, THE ONLY PERSON I HAVE EVER LOVED, GOES OFF AND TIPS THE BALANCE ONCE MORE! I WON'T BE AROUND TO SEE IT ANYWAYS! I'LL BE DEAD LIKE YOU SAID! WHY DID I EVER PROMISES TO PROTECT YOU!?"

Nightmare turned around and ran off in tears.

"Nightmare. Nightmare? Where are you. Look I'm sorry! Is there anything else you want me to do!?"

Dream looked around frantically looking for his brother. He was where him and his brother would spend a lot of time. Their favorite spot in the world.

A tree.

The Tree of Feelings

"Nightmare! Where are you? I know you're here!" He shouted. He waited for a moment trying to listen for a response.

After hearing nothing, he hung his head low and started to walk back. But before he could, something made him stop. A sound. A person. A living being. A cry for help.

Dream stopped what he was doing and instantly started to run toward the noise.

Nothing could describe how Dream felt when he saw his brother knelt by the tree, turning black, with one of his brothers apple next to him.

The apple,

Had a bite in it.

From then on, the twins fought battle after battle. Gaining friends, allies, and enemies as time fly by.

Sooner or later, the were separated.
In their own little grey world.

They designed it how they liked it.

Dream made it like home. The pretty sky. The green grass. The colorful flowers. The tall mighty trees. He and his friends made home here.

Nightmare felt sick thinking about the past and made it nothing like home. Lava streams. Deadly spikes. Grey skies. Dead withering trees. He let anyone ineed of a home and family in. Helped them feel as welcome as he could.

Years go by, and whatever was in the past was just a bad hazy memory. Neither of the twins could remember anymore. But it was fine with them. It didn't bother them. You can't be bothered by something you can't remember. Nor do you care about.

Neither of the twins cared about the other. Or the childhood they shared.